Hi, 

I just wanted to share this in case it can help anybody else. I did great the first few months of lockdown, in fact to the point I felt guilty I was enjoying it. Had a couple of OCD spikes but dealt with them. I didn't drink for the first few months. Then I began to let the booze creep back in. Maybe two or three beers in the evening. Anxiety and OCD increased. I had one very stressful day deciding if I should quit my job before I went back. There were good reasons and in the end I left. I was incredibly stressed and upset and drank a small glass of wine and three beers with my dinner, went to bed early, slept pretty well. I had a dream about an OCD theme and in the morning went into a bad decline. It's be 14 days now and I'm still struggling with it. One of the worst OCD spikes I've ever had.

It's hard for me - I have OCD which I have to fight each day, I also have ADHD which makes relaxing extremely hard, I also have some difficult past issues which upset me quite often, to do with the tragic death of a family member and our difficult relationship before he died. So, it's a struggle, and booze helps in the short term.

So - anybody reading this who wants to drink and knows they shouldn't - DON'T! I know how easy it is to fall into the trap. I've thrown away a really good stretch and have had to beg for my old job back and put my Mum through so much stress. Just wanted to share that.

6 hours ago, Slowcoach said:

Hi, 

I just wanted to share this in case it can help anybody else. I did great the first few months of lockdown, in fact to the point I felt guilty I was enjoying it. Had a couple of OCD spikes but dealt with them. I didn't drink for the first few months. Then I began to let the booze creep back in. Maybe two or three beers in the evening. Anxiety and OCD increased. I had one very stressful day deciding if I should quit my job before I went back. There were good reasons and in the end I left. I was incredibly stressed and upset and drank a small glass of wine and three beers with my dinner, went to bed early, slept pretty well. I had a dream about an OCD theme and in the morning went into a bad decline. It's be 14 days now and I'm still struggling with it. One of the worst OCD spikes I've ever had.

It's hard for me - I have OCD which I have to fight each day, I also have ADHD which makes relaxing extremely hard, I also have some difficult past issues which upset me quite often, to do with the tragic death of a family member and our difficult relationship before he died. So, it's a struggle, and booze helps in the short term.

So - anybody reading this who wants to drink and knows they shouldn't - DON'T! I know how easy it is to fall into the trap. I've thrown away a really good stretch and have had to beg for my old job back and put my Mum through so much stress. Just wanted to share that.

Oh dont! Had a few good months . Got totally wan***** Saturday night and my ocd is awful now

10 hours ago, Handy said:

Because of Alcohol Anxiety.  It’s not OCD, alcohol causes your serotonin to get small & you obsess. Alcohol is ok if limited. 

It triggers off my ocd but like you said because of the serotonin deopninqoild imagine:-)

Hey Handy, I think we're all different in that respect. I guess my post was more for people who know it's not a good idea. Just like my Mum can nurse a glass of wine all night while I'd happily drink five cans of lager in that time. But yeah, if you can handle it and you're confident it's not making you anxious then totally :)

Your post is so honest and inspirational. I applaud you for being so honest and open.

I too was doing well in lockdown, then dipped a bit Then up again, then a dip again now, probably due to having to go into work. All the talk about how things will be in September is hard (I’m a teacher) I’m struggling.

Your honesty has given me hope x

Yeah - I'd really recommend doing some work on the anxiety of going back to your job. CBT, a therapist, chat to friends. That was what pushed me over the edge. I've wanted to quit my job for years, but mental health issues have kept dragging me back like a lead weight. I'm in a customer facing role and there's enough H&S as it is, the COVID stuff is going to be such a pain. 

I was all set to finally spread my wings this year and make some real changes, after years of bad times :`(

I think the alcohol just exacerbated the stress from the thought of going back to the job.

At first alcohol raises your serotonin & you feel more confident & don’t obsess as much but the next day alcohol anxiety kicks & your serotonin is depleted.

Thank you Slowcoach!

Yes I am seeing (virtually now) a CBT psychotherapist, and it is helping. I’m hoping that this spike in anxiety is due to the stress of having to be in work. It’s not easy though-I’m so scared and feel flat about the future. I so just want to be happy and calm!

I think these forums have made me realise that it’s OCD that is making me avoid doing things for fear of passing Covid onto my Dad...I need to realise that I am not responsible, as I’m doing everything I can to protect myself and my Dad. Didn’t realise this was OCD.

I totally back this. I went to a socially distanced gathering the other day and having not had a drink since February people kept telling me to have a drink. After insisting I was fine about 30 times someone poured me a glass of Prosecco. I only had one glass of Prosecco but immediately regretted it. My mouth was so dry and I had a terrible headache which made my anxiety worse the next day. 

On 16/07/2020 at 00:14, Sazzie said:

Thank you Slowcoach!

Yes I am seeing (virtually now) a CBT psychotherapist, and it is helping. I’m hoping that this spike in anxiety is due to the stress of having to be in work. It’s not easy though-I’m so scared and feel flat about the future. I so just want to be happy and calm!

I think these forums have made me realise that it’s OCD that is making me avoid doing things for fear of passing Covid onto my Dad...I need to realise that I am not responsible, as I’m doing everything I can to protect myself and my Dad. Didn’t realise this was OCD.

People who avoid things are called Avoidants.