New Job, new career!

I have just successfully passed my interview and have got a job position as a peer support worker helping people with mental health and helping them in recovery,  this is what I've always wanted to do.....However my OCD is rearing its ugly head and making me doubt that the job is unsuitable and that I wish I had never gone for it, as I was so sure that I wouldn't have got it! 

Maybe I am reassurance seeking I dont know, all I know is I'm terribly anxious and my thoughts and doubts won't leave me alone! This is what I want to do, I've even sent an application to attend psychotherapy training,  this is what I want and I am over the moon that my career is going were I want it too, however,  these niggles are in the background.....How can I get over these niggles?

I know that a job is just a job and if I dont like it thats ok! Although yesterday my darling husband who doesn't have a clue about OCD was like I hope this is the last job and your not going to leave! Well I zm going to talk to him about that later, cos that is awful to say to someone that has doubts anyways! 

Any help and advise.....Or should I just go with the flow, accept it and see what happens x

Thanks for reading x

Hi Oetegenn1976,

Firstly I just want to congratulate you on your new job, well done! I'm sure you will help lots of people and be a great support to them all. I think this is incredibly common with OCD that when something good happens that we really want, our brains decide to say everything that could possibly worry us or go wrong about it. I think a lot of the time it's because we are excited, but all too often mistake it as nerves, which makes us think and then worry.

The best advice I can give is to keep moving forward, keep your long term goals in mind and see what's happening now as a normal consequence of being out of your comfort zone. Also if you have any therapy notes or self-help material to refer back to then give them a read.

I wish you all the best in your career,

Gemma

Congrats on the new position!  Its quite common to be nervous and have doubts about new situations, even when you don't have OCD!  Its good to remember that its normal to have doubts and worries from time to time!  I agree with Gemma's advice above.  Take it one day at a time and do your best :)