Racing mind ,heightened senses.

I have just had a really big spike. A massive worry that I am now going to have to fight with everything I have to prevent it totally debilitating me for a long time.

The thing is for the past few days I've felt like I can't switch my mind off it's just been racing away constantly with all sorts of wierd thoughts, I can't sleep because of it. I have also become more aware of things around me like details on buildings etc. I did say to my husband I felt like my OCD was about to come on because of this.

Is this something common to anyone else ? I've not been extra stressed or anything which I would normal look out for as a warning. Just my mind whirring .

I am on meds which generally work very well. Any tips on how I can stop this from really putting my life on hold again as it often does would be really appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

Guest dimmerswitch

Yes, I can relate to that. Focussing, or obsessing on a word or image. However, we both know it’s our OCD. Treat it like any other thought, it’ll go on it’s merry way and be replaced by something else.

It’s not the thought, image, word, conversation, dream, nightmare, tv programme, film, newspaper article, text, phone call.......

Its OCD. We react which makes it something it’s not. 

Stop. Don’t react. Don’t give it the time of day. It’s only our reaction which makes it seem real.

It isn’t. It’s nothing. That’s what OCD really is. Nothing. We make it something. We need to change how we react. 

I know it's OCD in the sense that I actually felt it coming on. I also know it's OCD because if what I have learned in counselling etc.i definately agree with what you say Dimmerswutch. Thank you that is good advice. I'm terrified to go back to how I was and I'm behaving manically trying to stop it. Not forgetting more non OCD everyday problems that everyone has. I think lack of things to do during this pandemic is making it harder and everything feels like an effort.

Thank you I defo need to change how I am reacting. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Guest dimmerswitch

It’s not easy. We all know that. All I can do is wish you the best of luck in beating it. I’m a sufferer and I hate it, and hate is a strong word. Then I think, what do I actually hate....nothing, because nothing is there, it’s just the way I react. I turn nothing into something.