Could be either. It really depends on your ability to identify thoughts as intrusive in the future and not respond to such thoughts. 

Sufferers have overcome a dreaded obsession and begun to live good lives, only to be thwarted when a new obsession pops up. They immediately freak out and start doing compulsions, forgetting the lessons they learned the first time around. 

That's me right now! This is probably my fifth relapse, and as frustrating as it is, I've learned a lot this time round. There were points when I was better when I nearly threw out my notes, so glad I didn't. Before the pandemic, I was absolutely fine. Then stresses of the situation made my anxiety worse and brought back old obsessions. I reacted the wrong way and am now trying to get back to 'normal' using old and new techniques, implementing far more ERP than I've done before.

Hi @cashewnutsandraisins, its not at all a stupid question!  Its a very important question in fact.

At present, most medical experts would classify OCD as a chronic condition that can be managed.  There hasn't been found and proven any kind of true cure, i.e. something you can take/do that will make sure you never have OCD again (like antibiotics for an infection, etc.).  That doesn't mean one doesn't exist (and in fact there are some people who believe/feel like they are cured.  However, no scientific studies have been produced that would seem to back that up) or won't exist in the future.

That said, many many people are able through therapy and sometimes medication able to reach a point where OCD isn't an active part of there life, sometimes for long stretches of time, possibly, if you believe some of them, permanently.  But from my experience and perspective, i think its best to treat OCD as a chronic, but manageable condition.  I also have asthma, which is basically the same, fortunately i have been able to get effective treatment for both that allows me to lead a basically normal life most of the time.  People with OCD can and do live happy, fulfilling lives just like those without OCD.  They get married and have kids, they work jobs, have friends, pursue hobbies, etc.

I would say, focus on what you can do to improve your situation, such as getting CBT therapy, work at minimizing the impact OCD has on your daily life as best you can.  Worst case scenario you'll learn how to manage it, and hey, maybe you will be someone who is cured, only time will tell what your future holds for you.

Hey @cashewnutsandraisins, it's not a stupid question at all, I think a lot of us would like this answer! I think the truth is that nobody really knows. You could completely overcome all of this and never be bothered by it again, you may get better and have a few relapses along the way, like everything in life it's all a bit unpredictable and uncertain. When I was first diagnosed, the therapist I was seeing told me that my experience was the worst that it was going to get, that beyond that it was going to be easier. In a sense, that was very true because at the time I didn't know I had OCD or what it was and it all seemed so real. The worst of it is when you're bombarded with things you don't understand or know how to cope with. As you learn about the condition and ways to manage it, you do start to cope and you don't unlearn everything even if you do have a relapse. So I'd say that instead of focusing on the outcome, just work on doing as much as you can now so that you have the skills to face whatever may come.

Hi @PolarBear, @Imhotep, @dksea and @malina

Thank you all so much for your advice here (and not judging my stupid questions!).

I really value all of the different perspectives and whilst I hope this could be something that I could knock on the head once and for all, I'm also trying to be realistic and anticipate that it will be a management thing long term.

It occured to me that I first had issues when I was blighted with intrusive sexual thoughts as a child (around 8 years old or so) and had to confess to my mum every single time it happened because I felt so guilty. Given that I'm now 33 and only just came to realise that how I've been/how I am seems to align incredibly closely with OCD, well then it's been a long term approx 25 year old condition as it is. Which is scary when I realise that.

I'm trying to educate - self help books and all that, taking advice from the forums - and have just found out I'm now on a CBT waiting list. I seem to go through phases of having different obsessions - does anyone else relate to that? - and i'm just hoping that as I move into the future, I will be able to manage myself and not be afraid of when the next bout of OCD will emerge and what it will centre on, as well as just overall getting a grip on my over-worrying, over-thinking and ruminating, which has definitely be a constant feature.

21 hours ago, cashewnutsandraisins said:

It occured to me that I first had issues when I was blighted with intrusive sexual thoughts as a child (around 8 years old or so) and had to confess to my mum every single time it happened because I felt so guilty. Given that I'm now 33 and only just came to realise that how I've been/how I am seems to align incredibly closely with OCD, well then it's been a long term approx 25 year old condition as it is. Which is scary when I realise that.

I feel like I could have written this! I am about to turn 33 too and had the very same issue of confessing things to my mum as a child. You may have been suffering for 25 years but that was before you had any education on the matter. We're so lucky to live in a time now where we have access to so much information and even forums like this, but when we were children this wasn't possible for us or our parents. You had no idea what the cause of your guilt was and so, naturally, it seemed real to you. Now that you have the label of OCD and information about what it is and how it works, you already hold so much more power. You've clearly set out to learn about this and going for CBT is the best decision you can make. Just keep going and it'll get better!