OCD Support Groups

Good Afternoon,  I'm new to the forum but alas not new to OCD. I have suffered for the best part of 15 years. I can actually trace it back to when I was 8 and I'm now 33. However that's not to say I have been chronically under its spell for that time.  I have had years where it's not affected me and blips I've been able to get myself out of. 

Unfortunately I seem to be in a blip or perhaps a longer period of suffering, I'm unsure. I've had all different themes throughout the years from HOCD, believing I had HIV/aids, ROCD but the one that has struck the most and hurt the most is POCD. I believe it is because for me that's the worse thing a person can do and I think that's why it has stuck and is my cross to bear because it fights my moral code and values. 

Anyhow I wanted to ask whether anyone had been to one of the support groups, online at the moment of course but nevertheless been to one? I have signed up to one in September and just wanted to see whether anyone found them useful?

Thanks,

Laura ?

Hi Laura and welcome to the forum :)

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling so long with OCD. I have a similar story of having had it a long time and it changing from theme to theme and it's so tough to go through. Have you accessed any therapy for your OCD? Because it's through CBT that I've managed to improve so much in the last few years.

My colleague Kirstie is the Online Groups Manager and hosts the support groups. She is really kind and supportive as are all the OCD-UK team. I think people find them a great place to get support from people who understand and also encouragement to face their OCD. So I really hope that you too find them helpful too :)

Gemma

Over the years I have had many different talking therapies but it wasn't until last year I had CBT with a therapist who really understood....finally! Unfortunately with the NHS you only get 8 sessions so we made some good headway but it just wasn't enough. I have self referred myself again for more however I think I may have to invest in myself a bit more and pay privately. We'll see, I shall see how long the waiting list is and make a decision from there. 

To my demise I didn't keep up with my monthly reviews after I finished my last bout of CBT. I was meant to check in monthly with myself and carry on with any exposures but I avoided them (go figure) because I was ok and thought it would drag me back. This time I'm determined to sort myself and keep in check. I hope the group sessions help, I figure i will give it a go! 

Hi Laura

I have and found it helpful. Give it a go and see what you think. It's good to not feel so alone I think.

That's what I have found with my IAPT treatment it just wasn't enough but I did make some progress. Hope you get something to help soon.