I think I’m going mad

I feel like I’m going crazy

So my ocd has been obsessing over coincidences and random related events. I’ve been experiencing a lot of coincidences over the past few days but something struck me as odd. I was in my bedroom today and my brother came in and said a joke. It was about Master Shifu from king fu panda. This is stressing me out as I had been researching Taoism (A religion heavily linked with the Kung fu panda movie) moments before he walked in. I was researching it to make sense out of the strange coincidences. The thing that worries me is that it’s too coincidental the fact that he said that joke right after I looked up something heavily linked with it. We used to joke about Kung fu panda but we haven’t in a long time.

The fact that he said it makes me feel very stressed too. Why would he say that? My mind is questioning wether he is even real or not due to that fact that he said this? Why else would he?

I know this sounds like none sense and I’m sure my worries are nothing to be concerned about but still I am just so stressed and worried. Thanks for reading what must seem like a lot of rambling.

That makes no sense. So what if there is a coincidence. The world is random - they happen. Your OCD is obviously triggering all over the place. There is a way out of this. You need to be really brave and leave it. Let the thoughts just float away. Move on.

Edited by OxCD
13 hours ago, OxCD said:

That makes no sense. So what if there is a coincidence. The world is random - they happen. Your OCD is obviously triggering all over the place. There is a way out of this. You need to be really brave and leave it. Let the thoughts just float away. Move on.

I know it sounds ridiculous and it probably is. It’s just that random events keep happening that seem linked. For example I had been thinking about something for a few weeks but yesterday I watched two movies which had scenes in that where about what I was thinking. Afterwards I read an article and there was mention of Parkinson’s disease, which a actor in one of the movies later had. Then in another article it mentioned pirates, and I had watched a pirate movie the night before. It just all seems strange.

It’s not strange. If you look hard enough you’ll find coincidences everywhere. Statistically speaking, I’d be surprised if there weren’t coincidences. The issue is you - thinking there is meaning there. Sorry - but it has to be said. You need to listen and stop it. Or at least recognise that you have an issue. ? Have you seen your GP? If it makes you feel better - I see issues too where there clearly aren’t any. Albeit in a totally different way to what you describe. I have to ignore it the best I can and be strong.

Edited by OxCD
6 minutes ago, OxCD said:

It’s not strange. If you look hard enough you’ll find coincidences everywhere. Statistically speaking, I’d be surprised if there weren’t coincidences. The issue is you - thinking there is meaning there. Sorry - but it has to be said. You need to listen and stop it. Or at least recognise that you have an issue. ? Have you seen your GP? If it makes you feel better - I see issues too where there clearly aren’t any. Albeit in a totally different way to what you describe. I have to ignore it the best I can and be strong.

Thanks! I saw a theripist for 9 sessions, they ended about 2 months ago as they are limited to 9. They are going to check back in about 3 months or so. 

It is a common line in cop movies - I do not believe in coincidences. A false statement. In a room of 23 people the chances that two people have the same birthday is 50/50. Science and statistics prove that coincidences are common. There are probably many links between watching a film and and reading an article  -  your mind plucked out one in terms of a disease. And what about times when you brain does not perceive a link?

Edited by Angst
34 minutes ago, Angst said:

It is a common line in cop movies - I do not believe in coincidences. A false statement. In a room of 23 people the chances that two people have the same birthday is 50/50. Science and statistics prove that coincidences are common. There are probably many links between watching a film and and reading an article  -  your mind plucked out one in terms of a disease. And what about times when you brain does not perceive a link?

Thanks! That puts a lot in perspective! I still think it’s a bit weird though, for example about 4 hours ago I was watching a movie about arcade games in the car then when I arrived at my hotel someone was playing the Pac-Man sound. But your comment has been helpful so thank you.