Silly of me really to be naive and not think of this, but built the courage last week to refer myself and hope for CBT.

Just got a call and I'm being offered CBT - but it's an eight month waiting list.

I'm worried because a) one of the reasons I decided to self-refer is because I'm going through a particularly awful recent spike. What if, when I finally get seen, I feel ok - the CBT doesn't seem to be needed - and then I spike again once the CBT is over, but don't have the CBT to help me through??

And b) in the meantime, how do I get through - scared of the thoughts popping up? Do I just continue reading self-help books?

I know I should be grateful, and I am, for the help and of course paying private is an option, but just feeling a bit deflated at the moment.

I am in the same boat to be honest. I have also just self referred  myself and have been offered CBT and there is a waiting list. 

I have some self help books I am going to read but I have also been trying to use some of the techniques I was taught in my first bout of CBT. I also have, just today, found a podcast on this where the lady,  an ex ocd sufferer speaks about it and i have found the first couple extremely helpful and informative! Everything she talks about resonates immensely! 

Try searching for OCD Recovery on spotify! ?

When you take CBT, you learn how to properly deal with current and future obsessions. So anytime is a good time to learn.

Reading self help books is really pointless unless you put into practice what you learn. Recovery requires you to be active, not passive. 

Even if you feel better in 8 months time, it's still worth going to CBT. It's not just about feeling better, it's about learning how to manage the disorder so that you are equipped to deal with it at all times.

I got my CBT/ERP therapy through the charity MIND (Inclusion).  I waited for three months which is a lot better than eight.  Contact your local branch and they phone you and give you a telephone assessment. 

In the meantime, the above advice is good.  There are also helpful videos on You Tube which can also help.