No fluids for 3 days

Superstitious Magical Thinking OCD sufferer

In a major crisis right now and I'm just not sure on what to do

My weight is down to 7 stone 10 pounds, I've not had any fluids for 3 days because my OCD is SO strong and with no sign of therapy starting in the near future I just feel so helpless, depressed right now 

I know some might say I could just force myself to drink and accept the crippling fear my OCD is right but I just can't ? at what stage would it be appropriate to ring non emergency services number 

Hi Mark,

first of all I am so sorry you're going through this, it sounds very difficult and I can appreciate that it's not easy to just "force yourself" to drink water. If you feel that you can't cope on your own and there is no therapy available in the near future, I think it's appropriate to call. Stay strong, I hope things get better soon!

Hi Mark,

I'm so sorry, that sounds absolutely awful!

What specific thought do you have about drinking? Is it all fluids not just water? It's really important that you phone your GP and explain the situation. They might want to arrange for admission to hospital either for IV fluids or to a crisis-unit. 

Can you eat? If you can eat porridge, fruit, ice cream or soup then you could save yourself from needing dialysis in hospital (or even a painful death); which could happen if your kidneys fail from no fluid. This is really really important because as you'll know- you could become very seriously ill or even die from this. I fluid restrict for up to 10 hours at a time when travelling (to avoid loos) and I know that my OCD becomes worse and worse with every hour after 4hrs because dehydration has psychological as well as physical effects. I also have magical thinking and know that it can take on a semi-delusional quality and when you fear something awful will happen you will do anything to avoid it BUT you do recognise that this is OCD. 

If you are too ill to challenge the OCD just now then can you use it's own rules against it? So make the rule that something bad will happen if you wear a certain item of clothing, rather than if you drink? I can sometimes do this with my OCD. It's obviously not helpful for long-term recovery but for your immediate survival it might help.

Edited by BelAnna

Hi Mark

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so badly because of your OCD.  If you haven't had any fluids for 3 days then you do need to seek medical attention today.  You can force yourself to drink, even when the anxiety seems insurmountable, I know it seems easy to say but you can. But, from a physical perspective you need to seek emergency support.  Let us know how you go on :)

41 minutes ago, BelAnna said:

Hi Mark,

I'm so sorry, that sounds absolutely awful!

What specific thought do you have about drinking? Is it all fluids not just water?

My OCD says something really bad will happen to me next year if i go against it, so like now its eating and drinking but extends to other things aswell It's purely Superstitious

1 hour ago, BelAnna said:

Can you try to manipulate it? Make it something else it depends on?

I can and do try but often without success, in these situations my day is spent trying to ritualize or negotiate with my OCD so i can drink 

Hi Mark.  The nearest I came to your crisis was not drinking water for some hours before I went out because of the time I would have to spend checking the plumbing before going out. I do not have this compulsion now. You need to drink and if you have not drunk liquid for three or more days you should seek help now. Do you live family or flat mates what do they think?