OCD 2020 Successes

Hi all,

I am feeling very proud of myself; today I told my psychologist some extremely personal things that I have never told anyone before. It took me a number of weeks and her help and encouragement. But despite it being excruciatingly hard to start speaking, I did it.

I could not find a success thread for this year (my apologies if I missed it!) Does anyone else have any successes in combating their OCD which they would like to share?

On a personal note, our disorder is a monster and I want to say well done if your combating it or thinking of combating it in the future!

Go on, my son! :D I am super-proud of you. I know how hard that must be. It's scary, isn't it?

I don't have much to be proud of right now but I guess I'm glad that I can seek help when necessary, and that I've been honest with my dad, stepmum and godmother. And really, that I'm just still alive.

C x

I’ll share my success too! 

Although it might not seem much but I’m currently in ERP. 

I’ve now managed to tackle two of my compulsions and now feel no anxiety from them. 

I’ll be moving onto the next one on Monday. But so far so good! 

Well done to you! Everyone stay strong ?

Thank you all very much!

Cub:

It was very scary, your right!

I hope you don’t mind me saying but when you say ‘I'm glad… that I'm just still alive’ you are showing just how much you have to be proud of; you kept going and by the sound of it fighting and that takes guts! Also, as you mentioned it, I imagine being honest with your family was hard; but again, you wanted to do it and you did and that also took guts!

I am really glad you can seek help when you want or need it.

rebecca23x:

Thank you for sharing.

That is fantastic!! I am so happy for you, role on Monday!!

I hope I'm not too late to reply  but I started CBT/ERP therapy in March after suffering from the OCD bully for 53 years.  My score on the OCD chart when I started was 136 and now it is 27.  I am actually beginning to know what a normal life is like.  I know i have to keep on working at it but know how to manage it now.  it is such a relief.  So don't anyone give up.  It can be done. If I can do it you centainly can!

OldCrazyDame I am so sorry it tormented you for so long! I set up this thread, as I wanted us all to be able to see peoples’ recent successes and so hopefully give us all a little boost and your story certainly does that! I am so happy for you, what you have achieved is AMAZING, and inspirational! Thank you for sharing it.

@Jumbo that is FANTASTIC well done!!!!! That is incredible work! I can relate, I have not been out, even into the garden, for about a month as I am terrified of getting Covid and giving it to someone else. I am so impressed, well done man!! I am rooting for you for next week!! Your being very brave challenging that OCD beast

@Jumbo you are really racking up these successes! Personally though, I would not see your trip out at night as a ‘small victory’ I would see it as a great success! You could not go out at all at night but now you have made some headway, as you said little by little. Thank you so much for sharing and keep going you trooper!