Coincidences ruining me.

Hi Wesker,

Following on from my previous post, let's look at this latest 'coincidence' in more detail...

What is your obsession (the intrustive thought, image, doubt etc that is causing you distress)?

What are your compulsions (the things you are doing to try to reduce that distress)?

Once you have identified these, we can move on to doing something about it :)

Catherine 

On 24/10/2020 at 16:43, iamwesker said:

However, had a knock again today. I dreamt about Eastenders actress Patsy Palmer last night....and as soon as I woke up...I turned on the internet and saw a news article about Patsy Palmer, has scared me a little bit  :( just too coincidental?? ? 

I know its frustrating to keep feeling like things are reminding you of your intrusive worries, but you have to keep doing the same thing, treating it as OCD, responding with a "so what" when these things happen. 

On 23/10/2020 at 03:05, dksea said:

I don't know if its more or less cool, but its probably less difficult ? OMG Japanese is hard ? (But cool!)

Haha, yes I think so. The word order is Verb-Subject-Object/VSO, which takes some getting used to but there's no new characters to learn and it's fairly easy to pronounce with regular spelling! 

On 24/10/2020 at 08:43, iamwesker said:

Thanks again guys. I've been doing Japanese the last few days! So I have been fighting.

However, had a knock again today. I dreamt about Eastenders actress Patsy Palmer last night....and as soon as I woke up...I turned on the internet and saw a news article about Patsy Palmer, has scared me a little bit  :( just too coincidental?? ? 

Wesker 

Nope- just totally normal and definitely not worth worrying about! 

These coincidences honestly mean nothing. If God wanted to warn you to/not to do something then he wouldn't do it using bizarre coincidences that seem to have no relation to the thing you're worried about. 

Also why would God not want you to learn Japanese?

** I am saying this as someone who has similar OCD and is worrying about whether or not to do a Linguistics course next year or whether God is warning me not to - so I'm basically a hypocrite! 

Edited by BelAnna
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone i hope youre well. Ive been working so so hard to fight and with varyig degrees of success. But something really really shook me today.  I was looking at a book on my bookshelf about myths. Then my mind wandered to "i wonder what Japanese myths are like" so i thought about Japanese myths. I am an english teacher and 20 minutes later I called my student and she started talking about Japanese myths.

Not sure i can come out of this one 

Its a warning from god not to study my languages

Hi Wesker, 

I think that sometimes people with OCD are more susceptible to finding coincidences and then fearing that they mean something, especially if it’s a theme like it seems for you. My best advice would be to just ignore the thought and get on with whatever you were doing. I used to think if the clock went up in multiples of 7 that I would be possessed when I was younger. Don’t believe any of the OCD, and just ignore it. Best of luck 

4 hours ago, iamwesker said:

Hi everyone i hope youre well. Ive been working so so hard to fight and with varyig degrees of success. But something really really shook me today.  I was looking at a book on my bookshelf about myths. Then my mind wandered to "i wonder what Japanese myths are like" so i thought about Japanese myths. I am an english teacher and 20 minutes later I called my student and she started talking about Japanese myths.

Not sure i can come out of this one 

Its a warning from god not to study my languages

How do you know it's a warning from God? Did he write you a note on your wall? Send you an email? Text message?

Even if it was a message from God, how do you know the message is to not study languages? What if the message is really that you should wear purple underwear? Or that you should eat more fibre?

The fact is, you have no evidence that any of this is true. Just a thought, that comes from your own mind.

Thank you guys again so much for the replies. I am working so hard to conquer this and I have studied today and am doing ERP.

Today i had the weirdest coincidence..I dreamt last night I had a long nose like Pinocchio (weird but who knows) and today my student mentioned Pinocchio. 

What do we make of that?

Thank you

55 minutes ago, iamwesker said:

Thank you guys again so much for the replies. I am working so hard to conquer this and I have studied today and am doing ERP.

Today i had the weirdest coincidence..I dreamt last night I had a long nose like Pinocchio (weird but who knows) and today my student mentioned Pinocchio. 

What do we make of that?

Thank you

Hi Iamwesker, 

Coincidences just happen all of the time but usually we are not focused on them so we don't notice them as much. It's only if you're tuned into them that you notice them. Also you didn't actually dream about Pinocchio (not that it would matter if you did!), you just dreamt that you had a long nose so that particular case is not really a coincidence. Nonetheless the ones that are still don't matter- they're just a normal part of being human and don't mean anything!

Keep studying and the less attention you put on coincidences, the fewer coincidences you will notice.

2 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Hi Iamwesker, 

Coincidences just happen all of the time but usually we are not focused on them so we don't notice them as much. It's only if you're tuned into them that you notice them. Also you didn't actually dream about Pinocchio (not that it would matter if you did!), you just dreamt that you had a long nose so that particular case is not really a coincidence. Nonetheless the ones that are still don't matter- they're just a normal part of being human and don't mean anything!

Keep studying and the less attention you put on coincidences, the fewer coincidences you will notice.

Yeah thank you so much for the reply BelAnna :)

It knocked me for a bit but it is just so terrifying as all of us know. New years resolution is to get my therapy sorted 

Coincidences occur all the time.

We dream a number of times a night during the REM stage and occasionally remember a dream if we wake up immediately after a REM stage. You will have had many dreams when no coincidences occur. (Rapid eye movement - we, and it is said, other mammals dream when this occurs). 

The belief in the meaning of coincidences is well documented in mental health  research  - when you are attuned to something you will read and see and hear things which will be perceived as a coincidence.  Use this knowledge to identify when you do this - and say to yourself - here I go again attributing significance to a  coincidence.

I read up on this phenomenon when I experienced something similar to you. It helped me put things into perspective. It is quite common.

8 hours ago, iamwesker said:

What do we make of that?

Thank you

We don't make anything of that. You do because you are fixated on coincidences. 

On 13/09/2020 at 20:24, iamwesker said:

I need some help about something, sorry it is me again.

As some of you know my OCD focuses on being punished by God for past events. I recently gave up studying Korean and Japanese because of this. Anyway, I have recently had an UNCANNY amount of coincidences. Maybe about 5 a day. Crazy coincidences. Is this a sign from God that I am doing what he wants by not studying?

Some coincidences from toda:

-I saw someone called Nina on a Facebook meme (not  a common name) 2 minutes later it was mentioned on the TV.

-I said 'Tesco' the same time as the woman on the radio.

-I was talking to my friend on the phone - we spoke about 'Helena Bonham Carter, Fanta, Twilight...then I saw all three mentioned (2 on facebook and one on tv) after the phone call.

-I was thinking about a man who hadn't booked my online classes for a few months (I'm a teacher) then suddenly he got in touch.

What on earth is going on???

Is it signs I should give up what I want?

Mark

Life's full of coincides if you look out for them which is what you're doing all the time 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone sorry just me again,

Something very odd happened to me

Two days ago I sent a Simpsons gif on Facebook messenger to a friend and then today this episode came on TV! Of all the episodes. 

Sorry it's sent me back into a spiral it's a warning from god. I was doing so well with erp:(

• 2 weeks later...

very spooky happening today...

yesterday someone online asked if I was religious, I said 'a little bit' . Immediatly after this thoughts of punishment of course came into my head.

Anyway, I set my alarm to wake up this morning for work (i set 2 alarms)and I woke up late. Both alarms the 'sound' button was switched off the alarm settings. Something I'd NEVER do; not even by mistake. Is this my punishment? What's happening here with God?

thanks guys

• 1 month later...

Hello, I just needed some help with something..

I've been doing my ERP and starting to slowly get better but my main worry is still coincidences, being psychic and message from God.

I've had a huge scare this morning. Last night I dreamt about the James Bond movie Dr No and a main part story of my dream was the voice of the main actress being dubbed (which it was in real life) and this morning I woke up to the news of the death of the woman who dubbed her.

Is this really a harmless COINCIDENCE? can things like this really happen?

As mentioned in your thread, how many times have you had thoughts or dreams which did not result in coincidences. I bet you don’t remember these occasions. And, as said previously, statistically, coincidences happen.

Edited by Angst