Type of ocd??

Hi there! 

So im almost through my therapy and we’ve come to the conclusion that along with many other rituals, compulsions, urges I do, the main one through my life seems to be that I’m terrified of been spiked with something this ranges from a drink to even food. If i buy a bottle of pop, have a drink, leave it in the car while I go in another shop, I won’t drink the bottle of pop just incase someone has managed to get in my car and spike it. I’m undergoing ERP therapy and actually managed to take two gulps from a bottle of water I left in the kitchen, it might not seem much but a couple weeks ago if I left a drink in the kitchen then went and sat in the living room. I would pour the drink out and make a fresh one each time. So I’m improving. Basically what I’m getting at is.. 

what type of ocd this is? I see people posting about different types and I never knew there was so many. Guess it’s just curiosity or trying to educate myself about my ocd I suppose. 

The OCD-UK website states: 

“Although there are infinite forms of OCD, it has been traditionally considered that a person’s OCD will fall into one of these five main categories, with themes often overlapping between categories too”.

Checking

Contamination / Mental Contamination

Symmetry and ordering

Ruminations / Intrusive Thoughts

Hoarding

I read the section called ‘contamination’ on the website - not sure if that helps you. You could see what your psychiatrist/therapist thinks. 

https://www.ocduk.org/ocd/types/

1 hour ago, DC82 said:

The OCD-UK website states: 

“Although there are infinite forms of OCD, it has been traditionally considered that a person’s OCD will fall into one of these five main categories, with themes often overlapping between categories too”.

Checking

Contamination / Mental Contamination

Symmetry and ordering

Ruminations / Intrusive Thoughts

Hoarding

I read the section called ‘contamination’ on the website - not sure if that helps you. You could see what your psychiatrist/therapist thinks. 

https://www.ocduk.org/ocd/types/

I’ve just read that, thank you for putting that in, it seems to be contamination doesn’t it? Like I avoid drinking stuff if I’ve walked away from it for fear of it been contaminated. 

There’s so much more to ocd that I’m still learning about, I’ve had this for 14 year and didn’t even know till A therapist assessed me so I’m just educating myself and trying to understand it all. I’ll have a proper look on that page. Thank you 

There can be a crossover for OCD themes. Yours is not unique.  I would suggest it's a little contamination OCD and quite a lot of harm OCD.

We often think of harm OCD being where a sufferer gets obsessions about him/her harming other people. But it can also be obsessions about others harming the sufferer.

But, don't get hung up on the name. If you have obsessions that cause distress that leads to compulsions, you have OCD.

10 hours ago, rebecca23x said:

I’m undergoing ERP therapy and actually managed to take two gulps from a bottle of water I left in the kitchen, it might not seem much but a couple weeks ago if I left a drink in the kitchen then went and sat in the living room. I would pour the drink out and make a fresh one each time. So I’m improving.

Sounds positive! Well done on the progress. Hopefully those fears will become weaker and weaker. 

15 hours ago, PolarBear said:

There can be a crossover for OCD themes. Yours is not unique.  I would suggest it's a little contamination OCD and quite a lot of harm OCD.

We often think of harm OCD being where a sufferer gets obsessions about him/her harming other people. But it can also be obsessions about others harming the sufferer.

But, don't get hung up on the name. If you have obsessions that cause distress that leads to compulsions, you have OCD.

Thank you for your reply. 

Thats actually really interesting, as I read a lot about people with ocd fearing they will harm others, witch really isn’t the case with me. 

I always fear someone will harm me for example the fear of being spiked. To me I feel like it’s the fear of not being in control. I’m a very strong independent woman and I like to be in control of everything so the thought of not being distresses me a lot. 

Ahh I know I have ocd 100%. I was only diagnosed two months ago. I Have a lot of obsessions and a lot of compulsions. But this one I mentioned seems to get in the way of my life too much so that’s why Im trying to learn about it so that I can try control it ?‍♀️