Physical affects of OCD

Hi All, 

I’ve been living with OCD (health anxiety and intrusive thoughts variants) for several years and have had multiple relapses.

I have found diffusing techniques the best form of dealing with my OCD. However, lately the physical symptoms have been consuming me! 

Has anyone had the following?

Chest pains 

Light headed feeling, like your briefly disconnected from your body

A wave that goes over your body and feels like your heart just stops for a second?

Hearing your pulse in your ears. (Recently saw a Doctor about this one).

Headaches (like your heads in a vice)

I hate seeing doctors now, they know about my mental health and I know I’m just wasting their time seeing them, especially during this pandemic.

If anyone has these feelings or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

take care all,

Wave Rider

Yep, when I get really anxious my chest pains start.

My Mum also suffers from them when she is stressed or worrying too much and she doesn't suffer with an OCD.

I get all the other symptoms too and as we speak feel nauseas with a tight chest because trying to handle my OCD thoughts.

Its horrible, I often feel like I'm going to explode

Hi @Wave Rider, welcome to the forums.

As others have already said, anxiety and distress can include unpleasant physical symptoms including many of those you describe.  

If you have previously experienced these type of symptoms, seen a doctor, and they didn't find anything physically wrong, its probably best to treat them as side effects of anxiety and manage them that way.

In particular I think the chest pains are worth discussing briefly.  If this is a new symptom for you, I would recommend talking to your doctor soon.  Chest pains can be benign, but they can also be a sign of other problems and its good to rule out a problem before it becomes serious.  Talk to your doctor and let them know what you are feeling and they will tell you how to proceed.  However, if you have previously seen your doctor about chest pains and they didn't indicate any reason for concern, then you should treat this as anxiety symptoms and deal with it that way.

Its ok to talk to your doctor and ask questions, but its important to accept their answers and do your best to get on with your life rather than going back over and over with the same or similar symptoms given that you already know you have anxiety disorders which are the mostly likely source.

4 hours ago, dksea said:

Hi @Wave Rider, welcome to the forums.

As others have already said, anxiety and distress can include unpleasant physical symptoms including many of those you describe.  

If you have previously experienced these type of symptoms, seen a doctor, and they didn't find anything physically wrong, its probably best to treat them as side effects of anxiety and manage them that way.

In particular I think the chest pains are worth discussing briefly.  If this is a new symptom for you, I would recommend talking to your doctor soon.  Chest pains can be benign, but they can also be a sign of other problems and its good to rule out a problem before it becomes serious.  Talk to your doctor and let them know what you are feeling and they will tell you how to proceed.  However, if you have previously seen your doctor about chest pains and they didn't indicate any reason for concern, then you should treat this as anxiety symptoms and deal with it that way.

Its ok to talk to your doctor and ask questions, but its important to accept their answers and do your best to get on with your life rather than going back over and over with the same or similar symptoms given that you already know you have anxiety disorders which are the mostly likely source.

Thank you all for your advice.

I’ve seen doctors about my ears and chest pain before and the other symptoms I’m just trying to live with. My Wife is only now starting to understand that the physical side of OCD can be just as taxing as the cognitive affects.