‘Checkers’ what are your best tips to manage the compulsions?

I’ve suffered from OCD for a few years now and have always convinced myself I’m ‘not that bad’ but it’s gotten to a point where I have to check all of the plug sockets in the house, turn the buttons on the gas job and check all of the external doors multiple times, by yanking on the door handles just to be sure they are definitely locked - this has resulted tonight in me breaking the front door because I have been trying the handle so forcefully. It’s been a bit of a wake up call for me just how bad it’s actually got, I dread leaving the house/going to bed because I know I’ll have to go through the whole stupid routine otherwise I’ll be an anxious mess the whole time. 
Does anyone else have these sort of compulsions and how do you find best to manage them and stop doing it so much? Any tips would be much appreciated! 

I don't believe compulsions can be managed. You either do them or you don't. 

Yes, you can absolutely cut down, by either delaying compulsions or reducing how often/much you do them. Ultimately that's not enough. The end goal should be to eliminate compulsions.

12 hours ago, Beauty2005 said:

I’ve suffered from OCD for a few years now and have always convinced myself I’m ‘not that bad’ but it’s gotten to a point where I have to check all of the plug sockets in the house, turn the buttons on the gas job and check all of the external doors multiple times, by yanking on the door handles just to be sure they are definitely locked - this has resulted tonight in me breaking the front door because I have been trying the handle so forcefully. It’s been a bit of a wake up call for me just how bad it’s actually got, I dread leaving the house/going to bed because I know I’ll have to go through the whole stupid routine otherwise I’ll be an anxious mess the whole time. 
Does anyone else have these sort of compulsions and how do you find best to manage them and stop doing it so much? Any tips would be much appreciated! 

I can identify with this and I've broken multiple door handles through forceful checking. I don't do this now though. As pb says - compulsions really can't be managed. They have to be confronted. Otherwise like weeds they just grow back. 

I got past this (mostly) by attacking it head on. I did things like deliberately leave the door unlocked, partially or fully, left sockets on, slept with ear plugs (so couldn't listen out) etc. Doing this massively helped. 

You can totally get past this but not by dancing to ocd's tune x