OCD-UK Annual Conference 2020 - Virtual

Hi Everybody :)

The OCD-UK Annual Conference is virtual this year and is happening on the weekend of Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th October. The conference is completely free of charge but we do welcome small donations for each presentation you attend, if you find it helpful. This will help us cover our platform costs.

The main conference webpage is https://www.ocduk.org/conference/ and the conference map webpage is https://www.ocduk.org/conference/conference-map/ . The conference map links to different areas of the hotel, showing you the presentations that will happen in that area. You can click on each presentation to find out the information about it and then register to watch it. All presentation times are subject to change so it's best to check the OCD-UK website a few days before the conference.  

Some presentations are overlapping but we hope to record nearly everything and make it available on our website in the weeks after the conference. 

If you have any further questions you can check out our Conference FAQ page here https://www.ocduk.org/conference/faq/ or email us at conference@ocduk.org

We hope to see you all there

Gemma :)

(Below - The OCD-UK Team)

1004886334_conferencedesk.thumb.jpg.64df6f8e3f7fc7ef58aa18f0a39148c8.jpg

• Ashley pinned this topic

Lots of interest in the conference, I hope some of you are able to join us this coming weekend. :)     Everything from OCD presentations, support groups, creativity workshops to relaxation stretching workouts.

Let's pack out the Zoom Rooms people! Book your place now! :)

In case anybody is holding back because they're worried about using Zoom let me reassure you. I had never used it before but then chance would have it I had to make two Zoom meetings last week. :unsure:  Turned out it was easy as eating pie. :)

You register for the meeting(s) you want to attend.

You get an email with a clickable link.

On the day you click the link and you get prompted to download/run Zoom, or to join through your browser (if you don't want the app on your appliance.) (Allow a few mins extra before the meeting starts if it's the first time you've used Zoom as it can take 1-2 mins to download and set itself up.)

Once in you can easily turn your video on or off depending if you want to be seen or not. You can mute your microphone (may already be muted by the presenter to avoid sound feedback and interruptions.)

You can choose 'gallery view' if you want to see the whole audience (those with cameras turned on), or you can choose presenter only view so you just see the speaker.

There's a chat box if you want to ask a question, or you can click the 'raise your hand' button and unmute your microphone when prompted.

I know I had some reservations about using Zoom before I tried it for the first time, but it really is easy, not an invasion of privacy at all and a very good way to be somewhere without having to leave the comfort of your sofa.

I hope I've reassured anyone who's unsure about attending because it's a 'Virtual Conference'.

See you there! :)

14 hours ago, snowbear said:

Let's pack out the Zoom Rooms people! Book your place now! :)

In case anybody is holding back because they're worried about using Zoom let me reassure you. I had never used it before but then chance would have it I had to make two Zoom meetings last week. :unsure:  Turned out it was easy as eating pie. :)

You register for the meeting(s) you want to attend.

You get an email with a clickable link.

On the day you click the link and you get prompted to download/run Zoom, or to join through your browser (if you don't want the app on your appliance.) (Allow a few mins extra before the meeting starts if it's the first time you've used Zoom as it can take 1-2 mins to download and set itself up.)

Once in you can easily turn your video on or off depending if you want to be seen or not. You can mute your microphone (may already be muted by the presenter to avoid sound feedback and interruptions.)

You can choose 'gallery view' if you want to see the whole audience (those with cameras turned on), or you can choose presenter only view so you just see the speaker.

There's a chat box if you want to ask a question, or you can click the 'raise your hand' button and unmute your microphone when prompted.

I know I had some reservations about using Zoom before I tried it for the first time, but it really is easy, not an invasion of privacy at all and a very good way to be somewhere without having to leave the comfort of your sofa.

I hope I've reassured anyone who's unsure about attending because it's a 'Virtual Conference'.

See you there! :)

Ha now I'm not sure if my camera was on or not - I assumed it was off! Hopefully I wasn't picking my ears or owt haha :D 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Thanks all, 

I hope you found some of the content helpful or interesting :)  I will try and get the recordings ready this week.

Ashley.

Thanks Ashley, got a couple I couldn't make. 

It was so helpful and my husband really got a lot out of Lauren's presentation. 

Great job ?

20 hours ago, Ashley said:

Thanks all, 

I hope you found some of the content helpful or interesting :)  I will try and get the recordings ready this week.

Ashley.

Hi Ashley, really enjoyed it and was one of the best put together conferences I have attended in a while - thank you to you and your entire team! :) 

She did didn't she Lollipop!  

Two of the recordings are now available.

Want to know that the Japanese for OCD is? Then watch/listen to the brilliant Sandy for that and other helpful tips amongst his very moving and inspiring story. The first conference recording is now available online.

https://ocduk.org/conference/conference-map/main/ocd-faith-and-climate-change/

Another presentation from this weekends conference is now online. 'How to get the best help to get you better: A guide to services and therapists' Thanks to Dr Lomax for this. https://ocduk.org/conference/conference-map/breakout/how-to-get-the-best-help-to-get-you-better/

Another video is now online from the wonderful Lauren Callaghan who was presenting live all the way from Sydney, and short of a balloon popping halfway through it seemed to work well!  (far better than me from Belper!)

Helping a family member or partner with OCD

https://www.ocduk.org/conference/conference-map/family/helping-family-member-with-ocd/

• Ashley unpinned this topic