How do I break the OCD cycle.

Hi,

I have not been formally diagnosed by a mental health professional, but five years ago when my symptoms came to a head my doctor said it sounds like I have OCD. I went on sertraline and for me personally, it didn’t help.

I find that I suffer more from OCD when I am lonely, have little purpose, bored etc which is why it has come back during lockdown as I have been made redundant and don’t have friends in my area, so I have nothing to do other than to ruminate. Beforehand, my OCD came back when I was being bullied by a flat mate and was retreating to my room to hide from her, and the time before my OCD hit me when I was super lonely in the summer and was worried about what my last year at uni was going to be like. 

In between I still get intrusive thoughts, but when I’m not in the throes of OCD I don’t engage with them. All of my intrusive thoughts are centred around me being a bad person, some are what I think may be false memories, and some are real yet I feel my OCD has sort of skewed them and blown them out of proportion. For example, if I accidentally caused somebody harm, I may convince myself that I actually did it deliberately.

When the intrusive thoughts come in during the midst of OCD I feel physically ill. I cannot eat, I cannot sleep, I feel completely detached and guilt ridden because I’m so convinced that I am terrible. When my OCD first flared I had a habit of confessing everything to my mum, I know that my mum would tell me if I did something seriously wrong so you’d think that since years later I am ruminating over the same things that I wouldn’t let it get to me as much, but I still am engaging with the thoughts a lot. 

How do you break the ruminating cycle? I’ve tried medication. To be truthful I need a job but during COVID I cannot guarantee that so I need something else. I’ve tried watching funny programmes but unfortunately once the thought has come in I completely detach from whatever I am watching. Any tips?

Thank you

Hey there.

Ruminating was my big compulsion. It is a bear to stop, but it can be done.

May I suggest you go to YouTube and watch my video, How to Stop Ruminating, by Dave Preston. It's been watched more than 40,000 times and I've only received positive feedback.

In addition to that video, you need to find something else to occupy your mind. Reading, TV, going for walks, Zoom time with friends and family, a hobby, take an online course. You get the picture.

Hi there Llb93 :)

Have you ever tried accessing Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for your OCD? You can access CBT on the NHS and if you're in England you can self-refer to your local mental health services. CBT is the current recommended treatment for OCD and will help you to break the cycle you mention.

We also recommend a self-help book called Break free from OCD, which takes you through what OCD is, how it is maintained and how to begin tackling it. You can buy it online or from our shop here https://www.ocduk.org/shop/break-free-from-ocd/

Gemma :)