Sorry to disagree Albertina, but under BTs circumstances which we know very well I think it is compulsive. Why? Because he is doing it to try to relieve anxiety- BT, it's no different to coming on here and explaining the situation for the 10th time or "confessing" to your wife. All compulsions under the circumstances dude- if you're doing to relieve the anxiety of your obsession (read yesterday's post) then the chances are that it's a compulsion.

Just my opinion based on my own experience.

6 minutes ago, Binxy said:

Sorry to disagree Albertina, but under BTs circumstances which we know very well I think it is compulsive. Why? Because he is doing it to try to relieve anxiety- BT, it's no different to coming on here and explaining the situation for the 10th time or "confessing" to your wife. All compulsions under the circumstances dude- if you're doing to relieve the anxiety of your obsession (read yesterday's post) then the chances are that it's a compulsion.

Just my opinion based on my own experience.

agreed binxy x

Not sure if I why really, thought if I had more knowledge of what's understood about fantasies maby that would help in believing I'm not in a small minority of people who have fantasised about people close,so probably was a compulsion. 

I guess I went with the idea that knowledge would help, oh I don't know, my heads so messed up atm?

20 hours ago, battlethrough said:

what's understood about fantasies maby that would help in believing I'm not in a small minority of people who have fantasised about people close,

Researching this=Compulsion. You're not trying to increase your knowledge to understand, you're trying to relieve anxiety. Do you see the pattern??

Hey

Repeatedly googling to get reassurance is def a compulsion, but I think it's something that's often overlooked because it doesn't look like something you automatically associate with OCD. I didn't realise my repeated googling of the same topic and reading the same articles for years was a compulsion until I talked it over with my therapist and now I realise that this is something i've been doing for years. It's another way to seek reassurance, to try and convince yourself you're normal or that thing you're worried about isn't true, but it doesn't actually work because it doesn't make the fear or worry or discomfort go away so you just keep doing it hoping that it'll click.