my sister has OCD and I don't know what to do

Hi,

I can't remember exactly when my sister started showing signs of OCD but I do know when I was doing my GCSE's, that was when it got considerably worse. My whole family is involved in her routines (mum, dad and me). She has specific routines that she must do in the morning and the evening which are getting harder and harder by the day, there is constantly something new that is being added. This makes me really worried for the future because if it continues to get worse it will be unbearable and none of us will be able to do it. She also doesn't move things around the house. She does all of this because she's trying to protect us. 

I've told my parents before that we should get her help but they're scared to. My sister also refuses to get help and doesn't want to hear that she might have OCD because she believes she doesn't and it will go away when she gets older, but as an outsider looking in I don't think that's the case. 

It makes me really anxious and scared for her future because she's so smart and wonderful but her OCD will prevent her from achieving what she is capable of. I feel so alone and helpless at times because I know as her sister there's not much I can do, but it pains me to watch her suffer and get worse and worse. I don't know what to do. 

Perhaps you could show your parents some pages from the OCD UK website and the various support that could be available to help. 

Learning what you can (check out the books available from the OCD UK shop) will give you an understanding of the condition. 

I hope things improve for you all

Hi there sister123 :)

It sounds like a really difficult situation for you all at the moment. I think it understandable that you're concerned about your sister's welfare particularly if her problem seems to be getting worse and worse. You mentioned that your parents are scared to get help, have they said why?

You could show your sister our Young Ambassador page here https://www.ocduk.org/ocdukya/ It has loads of tips and stories by our OCD-UK young ambassadors and hopefully your sister will see that she is not alone and that she can get help to no longer feel like this.

Gemma :)