Advice on Pure O struggling at the moment

Hi , 

my name is John I have suffered anxiety panic attacks and ocd for as long as I can remember. I take 15mg mertazapine at night just looking for some advice and guidance for the past 6 months I started feeling strong enough that I started only taking half the dose my hobbies and interests were enough to take me out of my head and be engaged in whatever was going on around me . Recently I found my ocd coming up again and not being as easy to banish I started back taking the full dose again about 6 weeks I have had at least 3 episodes of really intense anxiety over the past two weeks. I have gone to my GP and discussed it with him on two occasions in the last few weeks but nothing has been changed he just said I seem to have good insight into it and gave me an added prescription of 6 xanax and advised me to keep up the exercise. Just found recently I wake up and the thoughts come and it’s like Groundhog Day . 
I was referred to the local psychiatrist a few years ago but after a year or so started feeling well enough that I stopped going maybe I should have kept that up I dunno . They initially had me on seroquel and the mirtazapine and then only the mirtazapine and to be honest I always had a bit of the ocd still going on with the mirtazapine but with distractions and hobbies I managed sorry for this long message I know I’m not supposed to look for reassurance just hoping someone sees this has maybe gone through something similar and can give me some advice or actions I can do to help myself . Thanks guys I’m a member here for a long time and it has helped me I hope some day I can return the favour 

Hi there John :)

Have you ever tried accessing CBT for your OCD? Your profile mentions that you're in Ireland so the systems are different, but here in the UK, it's CBT that is the current recommended treatment for OCD. 

Similarly here the medications recommended for OCD are called Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs). How much they help sufferers does vary from person to person and it can be trial and error finding one that helps, but if you're finding your current medication unhelpful then you could consider bringing this up with your GP. 

Gemma :)