Thoughts have stopped

I feel like my intrusive thoughts have died down which should be  good thing... but I’m still getting  physical responses (groinal response to triggers) could be Instagram, Facebook. I tend to unfollow and hide the triggers to reduce the amount I have to see them. I’m now terrified that it was never actually OCD as the main component (intrusive thoughts) has gone. I have read everywhere that the intrusive thoughts trigger the groinal response so I’m confused as to why I’m getting it without them :( 

7 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Nope.

An obsession is an intrusive thought, image, feeling, urge, impulse or sensation or combination thereof. You can have an intrusive sensation without an intrusive thought.

Why is this happening polar bear I feel so destroyed. How can the groinal responses happen so often without me reading in to it. I feel like I hate myself, I feel like I can’t look in the mirror. 

The short of it is they are sticking around because you pay attention to them. You likely freak out a bit when they happen and you do compulsions, like dwelling on them, trying to figure out what they mean and ruminating. 

Do the opposite and they'll start to go away.

I understand, I just have a question people say the brain can’t tell the difference between sexual content and doesn’t check values first that’s why groinal responses happen.. but what if the content isn’t sexual and it STILL happens 

22 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Look, you could get a groinal response looking at a tree. Doesn't mean you want to have sex with the tree. Doesn't mean anything unless you give it meaning.

I know I just can’t stop crying, everything just feels so real, I feel like I am different to everyone else on the forum. I spend hours and hours everyday searching through posts to find symptoms similar to mine. How are you meant to live your life when you feel this disgusting 

24 minutes ago, Cas24 said:

I know I just can’t stop crying, everything just feels so real, I feel like I am different to everyone else on the forum. I spend hours and hours everyday searching through posts to find symptoms similar to mine. How are you meant to live your life when you feel this disgusting 

This alone is a compulsion which will only make the groinal sensations worse, it's fuelling the OCD fire ..best to try to cut down or even fully stop your searches . We all know how scary this is but believe you can do it 

17 minutes ago, iamwesker said:

This alone is a compulsion which will only make the groinal sensations worse, it's fuelling the OCD fire ..best to try to cut down or even fully stop your searches . We all know how scary this is but believe you can do it 

Hi Iamwesker,

I thought it might have been but I feel like I cant cope without the reassurance that I’m not a monster. 

1 hour ago, Cas24 said:

Okay. Resist the temptation to search for other stories just like yours. I did so for 10 years. Yes, 10 years. Never found another me out there. Convinced mysrlf I was sick, twisted, deranged, disgusting. You name it.

But I had OCD all along. It was always OCD. I've talked to hundreds of sufferers on this site. Still never found snyone with the exact same obsessions. I'm okay with that. I know I have OCD. 

26 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Okay. Resist the temptation to search for other stories just like yours. I did so for 10 years. Yes, 10 years. Never found another me out there. Convinced mysrlf I was sick, twisted, deranged, disgusting. You name it.

But I had OCD all along. It was always OCD. I've talked to hundreds of sufferers on this site. Still never found snyone with the exact same obsessions. I'm okay with that. I know I have OCD. 

I know, it’s just hard cos all I want is someone to tell me it’s OCD and that I’m not a monster. I just want to be happy and normal and enjoy my life instead of being plagued with guilt and shame. for me groinal response = guilt and shame and I don’t know how to stop it.

words that revolve around my theme of ocd spark my anxiety and groinal response who gets groinal responses from words!?!!? I’m so tired. This is probably too much info but I don’t feel like doing anything sexual with my boyfriend cos I’m scared that I won’t feel interested and it will confirm things. Sorry for the ranting it just have a lot spinning around my head 

Believe me, I can tell you it's all OCD and you're not a monster but the relief you feel won't last long. Soon enough doubt will return, as will the sensations. 

What you need to learn is that you can safely ignore the sensations. You can leave them alone. You can even learn to not freak out when you get them.

Cas24, you have what I have, and what many of us have.

Its really tough and ******, but if we have treatment (meds/cbt) and try not to feed into the obsessions (its not easy), they will fade away bit by bit.

I'm not there yet, but I'm getting there.

Like my therapist taught me, its not the thoughts, urges, sensations or whatever that make us feel bad, its the INTERPRETATION. 

And Polarbear is strong in his CBT (ERP) practice, and I aim to get there eventually. 

We have to try not to feed the monster.

Thank you everyone for your support! It’s a bloody hard thing this OCD. 

im sorry if this is asking for reassurance but I’m asking for an knowledge purpose.. is wincing/flinching a compulsion I tend to do this when a thought feels ‘powerful’ and I don’t want to think it