Is this normal?

Hi,

Recently I spoke to my GP about my OCD as I have never actually been formally diagnosed despite being told I have "OCD tendencies" and I have suffered with it since I was a child. So I went and my doctor kind of wasn't paying attention and just kept labelling it as "anxiety" and asked me "how my moods were" despite me explaining that I struggle with compulsions and intrusive thoughts. He didn't take it any further or refer me anywhere, he just suggested I see a local talking therapy. The therapy place is nice enough and they do do CBT however it seems to be all online. I was just wondering if this was a normal experience, as tbh I was expecting for my GP to at least make a referral but it just felt like I was responsible for reaching out. And I'm not sure how helpful online therapy is? 

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Hello @Sophhh,

@PolarBear is right there is nothing like OCD tendencies either you have OCD or not. As your GP has suggested you can try the therapy and there is no difference in online therapy and visiting a therapist. Because of this pandemic everyone is doing online therapy and its good like the normal one.

On 26/10/2020 at 09:31, Albertina said:

Hello @Sophhh,

@PolarBear is right there is nothing like OCD tendencies either you have OCD or not. As your GP has suggested you can try the therapy and there is no difference in online therapy and visiting a therapist. Because of this pandemic everyone is doing online therapy and its good like the normal one.

I disagree that online therapy is as good as face to face. We must be careful to not allow it to become the new norm. Human beings communicate better when they are in the same room - it's a fact. 

6 hours ago, Captain Trips said:

I disagree that online therapy is as good as face to face. We must be careful to not allow it to become the new norm. Human beings communicate better when they are in the same room - it's a fact. 

Sorry but this is not a fact, it is an opinion.  Different people communicate better in different ways.  For some people in person may be better, for others online may be better.  Please try to remember that and be respectful of peoples differences.

10 hours ago, dksea said:

Sorry but this is not a fact, it is an opinion.  Different people communicate better in different ways.  For some people in person may be better, for others online may be better.  Please try to remember that and be respectful of peoples differences.

Sorry,  yes you're right. I was jumping the gun saying it was a fact and I didn't mean any malice. I should think more carefully before I speak! (There's a joke in there somewhere..)

I suppose I'm just annoyed because face to face communication works better for me personally with regards to therapy and I'm angry that because of the pandemic it looks like online has become the new norm and I'm not going to be able to see an NHS therapist face to face. 

I remember a lecture I listened to from Noam Chomsky where he talks about how in communication between people, only a miniscule amount of what goes on in our thoughts is actually represented by language. For me personally I need the full experience of a person in front of me so I can make proper eye contact, notice their facial expressions, body language etc. I do however realise that this could actually make it more DIFFICULT for others though and therapy could actually be much easier over the phone or via video chat.