Old obsessions creeping in if I ignore them will they go away?

Hi I Haven't been on for a while I’m still battling ocd and I seem to keep getting old obsessions creeping back in which Iv already asked reassurance for previously and now the same ones are creeping back in demanding I ask reassurance for them again. What’s the best way to handle these? Why are old obsessions coming back? It’s like they stick in your mind for ages until you do the compulsion which for me is asking reassurance/confess them again to a particular person. Any advice plz? It’s making me feel miserable Thank you 

You are going to be hit with obsessions. They aren't the problem. The problem is how you react to them. Doing absolutrly nothing about an obsession is best, otherwise you just feed it and it will keep coming back.

Edited by PolarBear

Hi Donnahoney1,

It doesn’t matter if obsessions are ‘old’ or ‘new’... they all need treating the same.

Can I ask what your obsessions are?

You have already identified that seeking reassurance is one of your compulsions - can you identify any more?

When you have identified your obsessions and compulsions, it might be time to try an ERP exercise? 

catherine 

Thank you for both of your replies I can’t seem to pin point exactly what my obsessions are about my brain seems to obsess over any random thing, like if Iv been explaining to someone a conversation I had with someone I feel like I have to get the exact words right what the other person said otherwise it wouldn’t be accurate, another example of an obsession Iv had is if Iv looked at someone what they are wearing and Iv accidentally looked in the wrong place on a persons body (private area) I feel like a bad person even though I didn’t mean to. Or a random question will pop into my head that I don’t know the answer to and I will feel like I need to answer it, then I will seek reassurance for that obsession by confessing it, and that will take away the anxiety until it comes back into my head again in the near future and I will feel the need to confess that obsession again to get rid of it out of my head and stop the anxiety again. And the cycle continues the same obsessions come back again and again and it will make me want to repeatedly ask about them all the time for reassurance. 

Hey! I have been fine for almost two years ! The thoughts i have had over the last two years i have been able to pass off and move on with life. but for some strange reason these last few weeks they have really affected me. its not abnormal for the same thoughts to come creeping back (ive had them almost 6 years now), just linking to what PolarBear said, it's about how you deal with them. 

Haayleey96 really? Thanks it’s good to know I’m not alone in this problem, so really you never actually get rid of them you just learn to deal with them? It’s as though they come creeping back in and your brain labels them as important and sometimes they stick so long they give me a headache and it’s as the though you can’t think of anything else because that obsession takes up all Available space in your head until you do the compulsion to relieve the anxiety. I got to a good place with ERP before and I’m so sick of confessing things even past obsessions that Iv already confessed about ?

Y

2 hours ago, Donnahoney1 said:

Haayleey96 really? Thanks it’s good to know I’m not alone in this problem, so really you never actually get rid of them you just learn to deal with them? It’s as though they come creeping back in and your brain labels them as important and sometimes they stick so long they give me a headache and it’s as the though you can’t think of anything else because that obsession takes up all Available space in your head until you do the compulsion to relieve the anxiety. I got to a good place with ERP before and I’m so sick of confessing things even past obsessions that Iv already confessed about ?

Yeah it is like i can deal with them for so long! but then there comes a time where i cannot. It all depends on what is going on around me and my current mental state as to how much the ocd affects me (i hope this makes sense). But they are thoughts i have been having on and off for the last 6 years and every so often they really get me down! Yes i get that too! I think for me it is getting to the point where distraction is almost a compulsion! aha. It's crazy how OCD works and how it creeps up on you!