So I was diagnosed with Covid last week which came as a real shock. I was convinced I just had a cold until I lost my sense of smell. I am self isolating at home with my partner and kids but my OCD is of course going on over time worrying that I'm going to die or get long lasting effects and that I'm going to give it to my family and they will have the same outcome. Going out for a walk is one of my main coping mechanisms as is using nice smells. Struggling not having these options. 

5 hours ago, AnxiousAnnie said:

So I was diagnosed with Covid last week which came as a real shock. I was convinced I just had a cold until I lost my sense of smell. I am self isolating at home with my partner and kids but my OCD is of course going on over time worrying that I'm going to die or get long lasting effects and that I'm going to give it to my family and they will have the same outcome. Going out for a walk is one of my main coping mechanisms as is using nice smells. Struggling not having these options. 

Hi, I am not sure what your question is, but wanted to send you hugs and so sorry to hear you have Covid. I hope you feel better soon! I understand about not having your familiar options, could you try using candles that smell of the outdoors as an alternative?

Hi AnxiousAnnie,

Sending you hugs and hope that you get better soon.

I’m not sure what the answer is, only to suggest trying relaxation techniques or guided imagery (there are plenty online) instead of smells? Part of guided imagery can be to imagine what smells you can smell from your safe place, so may help? 

Do you have an exercise bike or anything inside that you can do instead of your walks?

I think your worries are perfectly reasonable and expected, but don’t let your ocd take things out of proportion :) Have you read the Covid-19 help on the main ocd-uk page... that may throw up some ideas? 

Wishing you well,

catherine