I accidentally made an espresso without changing the water... worrying!

Hi all.

I've jumped into the rabbit hole head first with this one but I'm trying really hard to resist the compulsion to ring my GP and ask for antibiotics. Other compulsions such as ruminating etc. are a lot harder to control and I think I need a bit of a kick up the bum!

I've just bought this new espresso machine. It's very complicated and fancy and I'm still learning how to use it. I used it about a week ago (possibly longer but I'm not sure) and filled the water reservoir at the back up to the top and forgot to empty it after using it. I then used the machine again today, got the little instruction booklet out and made myself a nice cappuccino with it. However it was only after I made it did I realise that I didn't put fresh water in the reservoir at the back and it was made with the same water that I had put in it the last time it was used! The coffee itself tasted fine but obviously when I realised what I'd done I threw out the rest of it and emptied and cleaned the water reservoir and ran clean water through the machine as well.

I'm so annoyed with myself. I tend not to worry about contamination and things like that but I'm really worried now about getting some kind of bacterial infection from drinking coffee made with old water. I did only have a little bit but I'm still worried.

I do suspect that my risk awareness is overheightened with this because as a nurse we are constantly warned about legionella etc. and we have to run all of the taps and things like that on the ward every day to prevent it. I've never had my own coffee machine or anything similar before (I only used a kettle prior to this which is obviously boiled water each time it's used). I was just wondering if this is something that is actually serious or whether I have overinflated the risk at all.

Edited by Lynz

I actually think you are probably over concerning yourself with this. These machines having red hot heating filaments inside that will boil the water so anything dangerous would have been killed anyway in the water. The worst you could have done is drink stale water but it wouldn’t be any harm to you. Sounds like you had a nice cappuccino treat if you ask me! 

19 hours ago, BigDave said:

I actually think you are probably over concerning yourself with this. These machines having red hot heating filaments inside that will boil the water so anything dangerous would have been killed anyway in the water. The worst you could have done is drink stale water but it wouldn’t be any harm to you. Sounds like you had a nice cappuccino treat if you ask me! 

Spot on, Well said