Hello everyone, I'm new here and have read some peoples comments and stories etc and this feels like a good place to ask for some advice. My OCD has gotten significantly worse over the past couple of months and have been prescribed Fluoxetine before going through therapy. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this medication and whether or not it had any positive affect on them. I have just recently started a new job and I'm really enjoying it apart from when the OCD kicks in and it can make the experience daunting and terrifying. I'm also really worried about Christmas approaching because a major part of the OCD is apparent when interacting with people and it is worse around people I am comfortable with and spend the most time with which is why I currently spend most of my time in my room and not interacting with my parents. Christmas is the time of the year you would usually expect to interact with family the most and I really would like to but I'm just really worried and knowing that significant recovery could be quite far away, I was hoping maybe the medication would be able to alleviate maybe just a bit of anxiety which might be able to help with work and spending time with my family.  

Thank you so much for reading this, I really appreciate any feedback :)

Hi Markus 

I have taken Flouxetine (original brand name Prozac) a number of times. I experience no side effects nor problems coming off them and with other similar medicines they take the edge off anxiety. But as with all other medications - psychiatric and non psychiatric -  some people do have problems with them. So you will read anecdotal evidence about their effectiveness. So  I would go on the scientific evidence and the probabilities of success. I was fortunatethat the first drug prescribed worked a few others have to try once of two drugs to find one that works as in all fields of medicine. The research and evidence can be found at the NICE web site and  your GP with have a book on their  desk about the chances of side effects and alternatives available. So I would say try it! Good luck on your decision.

Hi markuss

I've been on fluoxetine a few times and I've noticed a significant improvement every time. I've experienced some side effects, the most noticeable one being disturbed sleep - but nothing really major. 

As angst says though everyone's experience is different - really all you can do is give it a try and see how you go x

I am on it and it has helped me a lot. I personally have had no side effects from it, but beware if you Google about it as there are more negative stories out there. It is one of the drugs where I didn't notice any huge or sudden difference, it just gradually seemed to be helping so try to be patient with it.

Hi Markuss, a lot with what you put there I can relate, In my opinion using medication it helps manage my ocd and my anxiety. It makes things more manageable, in the years I have used medication I have been able to deal with things better than I did before I used it. There are a few different versions of the medication used to treat anxiety and ocd, I haven’t used fluoxetine but used others and settled for a common alternative citalopram, this worked the best for me, I found that my symptoms increased and I felt worse before I felt better it’s a long battle at the beginning and it took me around 5/6 weeks for full effect and level off, sometimes I feel a little emotionless but this together with the tools I have learned through cbt I can live. Yes I have really bad days things set me off and trigger my ocd, I’ve accepted it always will but it’s how I deal with it. It’s hard very hard but you can get through it.