I can’t find any therapists

I still haven’t been officially diagnosed with OCD but I’m so sure I have it. I just want to speak to a therapist so I can get diagnosed and start therapy, because I feel like I’m going insane, especially since lockdown started it’s just given me more time to ruminate. I’ve reached out to 2 private therapists now and neither of them have got back to me, it’s been 2 weeks since I got in touch. 
Can anyone recommend where I can find them (in England)? I’m scared to go to the doctor because I don’t find them very understanding or compassionate, hence why I’d prefer to start with a counsellor/therapist. I’ve looked on ‘Psychology Today’ already, but I haven’t had any luck. Thanks in advance. 

Hi, there is some helpful advice on the main OCD UK website on finding a therapist.

I used the advice on this site and searched for a BABCP accredited therapist for my son. 

I think it is important to do as much research as possible, and if it doesn't feel right after a couple of sessions don't be afraid of trying another therapist.

Private therapy can work out very expensive and like with anything, some therapists are better than others...or more proficient in certain areas, or sometimes you maybe just don't feel comfortable.

I think the BABCP register is a good place to start.

The OCD website suggests not necessarily choosing the nearest therapist, which I think is very good advice. 

At the same time I had very good therapy on the NHS. You don't need to see your GP you can self refer through IAPT, although waiting lists can be long.

I was diagnosed with GAD, not OCD (although since I have learned more about OCD  some of my worries do fit with OCD ....obsessions then constant rumination). I am not too concerned about another diagnosis since CBT is the recommended treatment for both.

My NHS therapy certainly helped, my only issue with it was the limited number of sessions offered (9). However, this did give me the tools and confidence to then use self help guidance.

While you wait for therapy I can also recommend the Break Free From OCD book, regularly recommended on this website. This helped my son recognise his condition and helped prepare him for therapy.

Hope that's some help. Best of luck. 

I'm afraid a therapist/GP is unable to formally diagnose in the Uk. It is only a registered clinical psychologist/psychiatrist. However, a therapist will do an assessment then work with you on your problem symptoms and probably do some self report measures . One doesn't need a formal diagnosis to have therapy.  The usual route is through GP, but some areas have self referrals to local NHS/ IAPT services. CBT therapy is the gold standard at present for OCD.

I think it depends a bit where you live, I also think that a lot of therapists are a bit overwhelmed now with people reaching out because of the COVID situation. I used a CBT register, it may have been the one @ConcernedMum recommended. I had some criteria, like I knew that I wanted a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, rather than another type of professional. I identified a few people and Googled them, the doctor I finally reached out to had worked on the NHS in an OCD clinic for many years before opening a private practice and I thought this was a good sign. We then did a brief phone consultation and I was very reassured that he gave me a lot of information and was very upfront about the costs. So this is how I went about it, but this was two years ago and I think your issue may just be that they are really busy because the NHS is overwhelmed and lots of people are going private. So I'd try to ring them a few times if you don't hear back.

Otherwise, you could just go to your GP. It'll be a wait but it may be better than having no support at all.

Best of luck!