Child too unwell with OCD to take GCSEs, seeking advice on where to turn for help

Hi,

My son was diagnosed with severe OCD at the start of this year. Since then he has been non verbal and non functioning for most of that time and has missed 10 months of education. He should be in his final year of GCSE's, but is unlikely to be able to take any of them. He is very slowly starting to improve with the help of medication and guidance from CAMHS via me. Once he's able to communicate again, CAMHS hope to start CBT, but it's slow progress. 

Before he became so unwell, he was doing quite well at school and was expected to pass his GCSE's. I had hoped he could retake a year, perhaps in a different school to make it easier for him, but have been told that's not an option. I've been asked to apply to the local college so that he can study for level 2 qualifications (GCSE equivalent) there next year and then go on to do his A-levels after that. The college only offer 5 level 2 subjects, only 3 of which are relevant, and he'll need 5 to go on to do A-levels later. It's all feeling a bit hopeless at the moment.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I've tried researching options for children in his situation, but I'm finding it hard to find any relevant help or advice online, and school have been pretty useless. I find it chronically unfair that a child should have their options narrowed right down through no fault of their own, its as though he's being punished for being unwell! 

I would be grateful for any advice on where to turn, if anyone has experienced this before, or knows how to successfully navigate the education system :-)

Many thanks, 

C

Hi C

I am sorry to hear that your son is going through a difficult time right now. It is good that he is starting to improve and I sincerely hope that he can get back on track.

Unfortunately I cannot offer much experience of navigating the education system at your son's age. However, whilst I was at university OCD spiralled out of control for me, and severely impacted my life. I had to defer exams for a few months, and when I did eventually take them the University was able to put in place arrangements to help me manage my anxiety (more time, a room away from other students etc). All I had to do was get some information from my GP and that was that. In the end I got through my exams and came away with two post-grad degrees. What got me there was medication, CBT and support from my family (I had to move back in with them for a while and they were great). It sounds as though your son is receiving good support so I truly hope things work out for him.

I suspect you have thought of this already, but have you spoken with CAMHS or your son's GP about the impact that everything is having on his education? I am sure they will have experienced similar situations in the past. If they cannot help, they may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can.