OCD and Exams

I’ve been suffering with OCD for so long now (more or less since I was about 6, only got diagnosed a year ago), but whilst it’s crippled me before I can honestly say that right now it might mess up my future.

So I’ve got my gcse mocks coming up in a month (I’m not really sure what the equivalent would be in any other country, sorry) and I’ll be honest whilst I’m predicted a pass for my school’s sixth form, I really don’t know if I can continue to work for those results if I’m going to be like this for most of it. I’m used to OCD now, been on sertraline 100mg for about a month and before then I was on 50mg for about 5 months. The meds do make me feel slightly better but that doesn’t take away from the overall feeling of just absolute hopelessness to be honest. I don’t want to disappoint my parents because I’m perfectly capable of getting good marks but I mean, I’ve always been lazy and this just exacerbates it. So I just need some advice as to how to deal with OCD in order to make my revision more manageable. Thanks

52 minutes ago, Rory said:

I’ve been suffering with OCD for so long now (more or less since I was about 6, only got diagnosed a year ago), but whilst it’s crippled me before I can honestly say that right now it might mess up my future.

So I’ve got my gcse mocks coming up in a month (I’m not really sure what the equivalent would be in any other country, sorry) and I’ll be honest whilst I’m predicted a pass for my school’s sixth form, I really don’t know if I can continue to work for those results if I’m going to be like this for most of it. I’m used to OCD now, been on sertraline 100mg for about a month and before then I was on 50mg for about 5 months. The meds do make me feel slightly better but that doesn’t take away from the overall feeling of just absolute hopelessness to be honest. I don’t want to disappoint my parents because I’m perfectly capable of getting good marks but I mean, I’ve always been lazy and this just exacerbates it. So I just need some advice as to how to deal with OCD in order to make my revision more manageable. Thanks

Hi Rory,

I was at uni when I first got diagnosed with OCD and it was really hard studying for exams with all of this stuff going on. I have to say that doing my coursework actually really helped because engaging my mind in something meant that I wasn't worrying about all the OCD stuff. I think the trick is to just start, just pick up a book and do a bit and then a bit more and a bit more. The longer you leave it, the harder it will be to motivate yourself. I know it's hard but you can do it!

Hi Rory,

I’m in university and have had OCD for about 2 years now. I would just like to say, you are doing so well. And I would also like to advise you not to worry about your GCSE mocks too much. I really agree with the post from malina about picking up the studying and doing just a bit (use Pomodoro timer online if this helps you, you study for 25 mins then take a 5 min break) to help ease your mind away from the OCD. Also try ‘study with me’ videos on YouTube - I like the background noise and set time. But don’t put too much pressure on yourself. 
Mock exams are for learning - to just try out the tests and to see what you already know, and direct you to which sections you should revise more before the real thing. 
I personally wish I had worried and stressed less about my exams in school. I did GCSEs, A Levels and then university. Getting a good grade on a test or assessment is not the be all and end all of the world. I would not worry yourself about your future and put too much pressure on yourself. There are many initiatives that make further and higher education courses more accessible now, if you did find that you didn’t have the grades. Colleges, sixth forms and universities (and employers!) are largely very understanding of mental health disorders and offer a range of support. (They will take into consideration your mental health condition.) Things like foundation years at uni can also be great. I am just putting these here for your information, in case you didn’t know these were a thing. 
Finally, I would like to say that your mental health comes first before any exam mark. Try to enjoy what you are learning, find the subjects that you particularly love, and this will help you a lot. Just try your best on the subjects you struggle with, seek help with your teacher outside of class if possible (really recommend this), and thrive in the subjects that you do like. Try to find one or two that you’re particularly passionate about. It may help give you a space to escape the OCD. Also, online support for revision, peer discussion and morale boosting can be found on The Student Room. Best wishes 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 22:29, Rory said:

I remember going through this 8 years ago! If you ever need to chat/advice feel free to PM 

• 3 months later...

Trying to support my son who is studying for his Highers right now. Studying seems to be really exacerbating his OCD and anxiety. Any helpful tips welcomed. I am suggesting a little every day and having a plan. The difficulty is unless he can tick something off as completed he can't stop thinking about it. Which is okay when it is coursework as he works really hard as a way of making sure he gets everything ticked off (I am aware this is not a healthy coping strategy). But for studying there is no end until the actual exams. I so wish schools had dumped exams this year! Any help and advice welcome!

Why not get hold of the course content for each of the exams. Study each element of the course one by one and then a week later you do a number past paper questions that deal with the elements which you have studied. Do each of the questions under mock exam conditions. Do not look at the answers to the past questions before doing the mock exam! You will in this approach get used to the stress of exams and get to know what the examiners are looking for.