am i overreacting?

what to do?

I am very strict about the best before date of products and how to store them etc.

Now it is true that we have a bag of potatoes in a small storage room that also contains a number of cleaning products and, for example, engine oil. this space is very small (3 narrow shelves) and also quite closed without any ventilation.

Now I suddenly realized that the cleaning agents / oils / other chemical agents may give off vapors / damps that can end up in the raw potatoes. Now I want to throw this bag of potatoes away as I don't want my pregnant wife and my 2 year old son to possibly ingest this.

However, my wife insists that we do not throw away this full bag of potatoes as this would mean giving in to the OCD.

I don't know what to do, because in my opinion / idea the potatoes are 100% contaminated with the gases / vapors of the resources that are in that small storage space. Even after some internet research, it is also indicated that some substances can affect your food.

Edited by Ironborn

Hi Ironborn,

Your wife sounds like she is giving you some excellent advice. I know it's hard but it sounds very much like an OCD problem. You all of a sudden realised that there might be a tiny risk from the things stored with the potatoes and now you feel a huge responsibility to keep everyone safe. 

My advice would be to keep the potatoes if you can and enjoy them because it's important not to give in to what OCD says. If that feels too much, could you keep a couple of potatoes instead?

Gemma :)

I I just remembered that our cat food is also stored in the same closet. And is not sealed of. The cat food is made out of dried food. It's really expensive food (60 euros for a bag). And last week came in. Should I discard it and buy new food for the cats so they won't get poisened? I do have to comment that it's always been the place where we stores the cat food. My wife won't let me throw it away, she also won't let me order new food before the current batch is done. I feel as if I'm poisening our cats deliberately if I Don't throw it away. 

So you had a new thought about the cat food. You asked your wife for her opinion. You got it. It went against what your mind was telling you. Then you came here, looking for more opinions. It's reassurance seeking, a compulsion.

Try to get your mind onto other things.