I could scream, this is going to ruin my Christmas

I have had this thing with cell phones, there have been a few scientific studies showing that phones cause infertility. I would accept the risk, but I don't want to make other people infertile because of me using a phone (The radio waves reach other people as well as the user). I've been dealing with this since February, and I wasn't using a phone (Or any other technology) for weeks out of fear that I'd harm my family by turning it on. I had no friends, I talked to no one but the people in my house (and in lockdown, that is horrible). I got over it but this month I've been worrying about it again.

The thing is that if I give up using technology then I won't be harming anyone, but I'll be miserable and it'll probably ruin my life. The last time I did this it almost ruined my relationship with my brother. But if I don't give up using the technology then I run the risk of harming others, and I can't live with myself if I do that. I understand that my family all use technology as well, but I don't want to contribute to harming their health.

It's almost too bad your OCD isn't right in this case, cause if it were then we wouldn't have so many people in the world and Mother Nature wouldn't have given us COVID to even it out!

But in all seriousness, OCD is never right. 

1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

Why should you be more responsible than billions of other people?

Do you think maybe this is all hogwash and all the time you've spent on this was a waste?

Possibly, but the studies are very convinving.

I think I should be more responsible because most people won't be aware of the harm they are doing, whereas I would know.

Edited by bob54945
58 minutes ago, hazydaze said:

It's almost too bad your OCD isn't right in this case, cause if it were then we wouldn't have so many people in the world and Mother Nature wouldn't have given us COVID to even it out!

But in all seriousness, OCD is never right. 

The thing is that infertility rates are declining rapidly and no one knows why. It basically corelates with the increase in mobile phone usage, but I don't care anymore I give up. I literally am so sick of everything, it's exhausting.

I'm not going to debate you over this. It's futile.

You need to:

1. Cease all reading of such studies and related news reports.

2. Work on your rumination. This means shifting your focus off the yopic and onto other things.

3. Start using your cellphone around other people. A lot.

I know it will be hard, but that's what you need to do. 

8 hours ago, bob54945 said:

The thing is that infertility rates are declining rapidly and no one knows why. It basically corelates with the increase in mobile phone usage, but I don't care anymore I give up. I literally am so sick of everything, it's exhausting.

I'm just gunna say this because it's a very important fact of life: Correlation does not equal causation. This is just for you to consider in general as everyone should, but I can't argue with your OCD because we can't argue with crazy (and I'm referring strictly to your OCD and not to you personally). Follow what PolarBear said; it'll be difficult for sure but the worthiness far outweighs the difficulty :)

Best wishes! 

On 23/12/2020 at 04:41, hazydaze said:

Correlation does not equal causation.

Yes, yes. This is really key to learning to beat OCD because the (untested) belief that what you do, think or say is the direct and sole cause of whatever happens next can keep you stuck in an OCD vicious circle. "I did my compulsion and that is the reason why nothing bad happened" or, "I didn't do my compulsion and that is the reason why something bad happened". I work in research. The way to know if something causes something is to test it, and in good quality research it is the opposite of what we believe that is tested. If my hypothesis was that a specific behaviour regarding cellphones caused infertility, my experiment would be set up to disprove the belief that a specific behaviour regarding cellphones does not cause infertility. And even then, good quality research always acknowledges a level of uncertainty.

Same with ERP. If my belief (the one causing my anxiety) is that if I don't do X, Y would happen, I would do X to find out.

There's a saying in research use: somebody is using research the way a drunk uses a lampost - for support rather than illumination. I.e. avoid looking for evidence that supports your beliefs.

Good luck.    

On 26/12/2020 at 05:50, Darwinia said:

Yes, yes. This is really key to learning to beat OCD because the (untested) belief that what you do, think or say is the direct and sole cause of whatever happens next can keep you stuck in an OCD vicious circle. "I did my compulsion and that is the reason why nothing bad happened" or, "I didn't do my compulsion and that is the reason why something bad happened". I work in research. The way to know if something causes something is to test it, and in good quality research it is the opposite of what we believe that is tested. If my hypothesis was that a specific behaviour regarding cellphones caused infertility, my experiment would be set up to disprove the belief that a specific behaviour regarding cellphones does not cause infertility. And even then, good quality research always acknowledges a level of uncertainty.

Same with ERP. If my belief (the one causing my anxiety) is that if I don't do X, Y would happen, I would do X to find out.

There's a saying in research use: somebody is using research the way a drunk uses a lampost - for support rather than illumination. I.e. avoid looking for evidence that supports your beliefs.

Good luck.    

Great post!!!