Solo Christmas

Hi all,

This isn’t OCD specifically but it’s certainly connected in terms of the isolation it can create for us especially this time of year.

I wondered if anyone else is doing a Christmas alone this year? For me it’s a first and I’m not sure how I feel about it.  I do count myself very lucky, I’m normally with people and not everyone has that.

People keep telling me I can’t be alone at Christmas, but for me it’s all down to COVID.  In theory I’m allowed to go to my friends family for dinner tomorrow but I’ve decided not to.

It’s really lovely of them to ask me to come, I mean really nice. I’ve chosen not to go mainly out of respect for the NHS and the scientific advice which is clearly saying please don’t mix. 

I have to admit to feeling like I’m one of a few people taking this seriously anymore amongst the people I know that is. There’s also a small part if me saying I’m over worrying. 

Sorry to hear you're alone for Christmas but it's the sensible thing to do. Staying safe is the most important thing. I had four guests coming but cancelled them after the new restrictions in London. I am not alone though as I have hubby and kids. Wishing you a happy day tomorrow although it will be different. Also wishing you health and peace for 2021 ??? best wishes 

Its not a real Christmas this year. We must just accept it and watch some TV Skype or whatever.

There are two of us and we have messaged telephoned met socially-distanced, and for me I just now want to laugh and to heal.

13 hours ago, MarieJo said:

Sorry to hear you're alone for Christmas but it's the sensible thing to do. Staying safe is the most important thing. I had four guests coming but cancelled them after the new restrictions in London. I am not alone though as I have hubby and kids. Wishing you a happy day tomorrow although it will be different. Also wishing you health and peace for 2021 ??? best wishes 

Thank you Marie and sorry you too had to cancel plans but well done for doing it!  Hope you have a happy Christmas too!

5 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I'm alone too ob1, albeit with lots of skyping. Going to take the opportunity to have lots of nice food and listen to music and just generally have a nice day :) hope you're OK xx 

I'm good thanks GBG, feeling much better having reached out here and talking to friends and family.  I know I've done the right thing by me so that's the main thing.

I like the sound of your day, I'm listening to 6 Music atm, some lovely music being played by Iggy Pop.  I plan to cycle down to the sea later with a hot chocolate with a dash of whisky! 

How's your morning going and what are you going to eat?  I've got some sprouts and potatoes and a range of fish or some chicken to pick from!  No turkey this year and I'm kind of happy about that :D  

4 hours ago, taurean said:

Its not a real Christmas this year. We must just accept it and watch some TV Skype or whatever.

There are two of us and we have messaged telephoned met socially-distanced, and for me I just now want to laugh and to heal.

That's very true Roy, I'm going to subscribe to Disney for a month so I can watch the Mandalorian in a week!

I think your wanting to laugh and heal are perfect Christmas presents to yourself and your wife.

To help you here's a terrible Christmas joke stolen from a friend.

Breaking News: The whole of Cornwall has been placed into tier 4 lockdown after hundreds of pirates returned home to Penzance to celebrate Christmas with their families. Apparently the Arrrrr rate has increased dramatically.

Hope that made you chuckle and you have a nice Christmas day :HappyXmas:

13 hours ago, OB1 said:

I wondered if anyone else is doing a Christmas alone this year? For me it’s a first and I’m not sure how I feel about it.  I do count myself very lucky, I’m normally with people and not everyone has that.

I am, but how I like it in some respects.  Christmas Day to do nothing but watch rubbish cheesy films when I want, and what I want :)      Whatever today brings OB1 I hope you find a way to enjoy it. 

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I am, but how I like it in some respects.  Christmas Day to do nothing but watch rubbish cheesy films when I want, and what I want :)      Whatever today brings OB1 I hope you find a way to enjoy it. 

Cheers Ashley, I'm actually enjoying it so far, quite nice to talk to people here whilst listening to some music and will get on the bike for an hr in a bit!

I watched Spiderman Home coming the other day and was surprised about how much I liked it, on BBC iPlayer.  Of course there's always Uncle Buck too Lol!

Have a good day!

I went full on soppy Christmas romance last night with The Holiday... this afternoon Turkey with Minder on the Orient Express (yes I know im old lol) and tonight Love Actually.  My Christmas movie list every two or three years lol.

oh and Merry Christmas OB1 :)

Love Actually is great. 

Haven't watched any movies yet, plenty of days ahead I suspect. 

I understand what you say Ashley. I like time alone quite a lot, for those reasons. 

I have two friends desperate to join me on a fishing trip next year, but I actually prefer to go on my own, just connect with others on the lake. 

5 minutes ago, taurean said:

I have two friends desperate to join me on a fishing trip next year, but I actually prefer to go on my own, just connect with others on the lake. 

I'm like that with cycling.  My team want me to join cycling club and do more social things, but I like going at my own pace, own route and enjoying views.  The pandemic got them nagging off my back for now :D

20 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I'm like that with cycling.  My team want me to join cycling club and do more social things, but I like going at my own pace, own route and enjoying views.  The pandemic got them nagging off my back for now :D

Yes same with the fishing. 

Whilst with cycling it's possible, if not preferable, to go when rain threatens, not really so with fishing. You generally need a lot of gear and bait, and getting wet is no joy. 

I have been several times with friends, been lucky with the weather, but not enjoyed the lakes and fishing on offer. 

Better to find locations you like - I have two - get to know them and what bait and gear work best. 

For me, company works best in the pub and café. 

We are just off for a walk, then there are more pressies to open before a siesta. 

39 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I went full on soppy Christmas romance last night with The Holiday... this afternoon Turkey with Minder on the Orient Express (yes I know im old lol) and tonight Love Actually.  My Christmas movie list every two or three years lol.

oh and Merry Christmas OB1 :)

love the holiday :) :) 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I'm like this with running - I went to a running club a few times but was a grumpy git the entire time :D just want me and my tunes! 

Yeah that's the one. It is a nice feel good film. My ocd has been bad this past month and I have felt really unwell but I am having a nice day and feel happy and relaxed. Have you all watched it's a wonderful life?

I am no great fan of Its a wonderful life. I prefer a more uplifting overall story to films.

Sure there has to be emotion but I like it kept low as I am pretty emotionally unstable. So I go for fun romance lighthearted stuff personally.

41 minutes ago, MarieJo said:

Have you all watched it's a wonderful life?

Great film, gets me every time.  Did you know James Stewart made that film after a 5 years without acting?  He was a bomber pilot leader in WW2 and was 10 years older than the average pilot age of something like 24.  This was the first film he did after returning, I think only a few months before when the war had finished.  Sounds like he had PTSD at the time and there's one scene where he cries and that was genuine.

If I could choose just one film to watch now,  and I probably might find it as I have Netflix and on demand movies, I would probably go for "Out of Africa" , or the recent Queen film "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Great films superb acting direction and production.

Notting Hill too.