Anxiety and mental illness at Christmas

I am with my sister, husband and nieces this Christmas. Haven’t seen them properly since August (socially distant). My anxiety has been through the roof for days and my emotional connection isn’t there with anyone as I’m numb to the core. It’s so frustrating but it’s the reality of mental illness, just because it’s Christmas, doesn’t mean you have to be ok. Merry Christmas everyone.

56 minutes ago, Liam Greechan said:

t’s the reality of mental illness, just because it’s Christmas, doesn’t mean you have to be ok

Absolutely Liam, and for some of us, we have to take today as just another day, one day at a time.   Hopefully for you and anybody else struggling today, your next Christmas will be much easier and happier.  :) 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Absolutely Liam, and for some of us, we have to take today as just another day, one day at a time.   Hopefully for you and anybody else struggling today, your next Christmas will be much easier and happier.  :) 

I do feel lucky to have family around me considering what has been happening. I just wish I had more positivity. Everything feels like it’s going backwards but I’m putting on my best face, pretending everything is fine. Hope you have a nice day Ashley ?

21 hours ago, Liam Greechan said:

I’m putting on my best face, pretending everything is fine

Do you have anyone you don't have to pretend to? A mate that you don't have to put a face on and just wear your face? One thing I've had to learn with my OCD is that in the past I would put my best face on because I thought that was my duty, to not cause anyone any sadness or anxiety over me by being cheerful. When I finally let the mask slip a friend told me she was so relieved because being around someone so relentlessly optimistic and positive made her feel like a bad person for ever being angry! In other words, showing that you are not perfect can make other people feel better about their own mistakes or bad moods. I've realised that my true friends are those who I don't put a best face on - and who don't put one on for me. It's such a relief to struggle and feel awful in front of someone and know they can take it.

My young son has been troubled by being sad this Christmas and bringing us down so we've told him something I wish I'd been told. If you're sad on Christmas Day, you can be sad. It's ok because you're with Mum and Dad and it won't make us feel bad if you're sad today. 

I really feel for you and hope you were able to be kind to yourself yesterday. OCD can be exhausting.