Reluctance to declare OCD at work/get help

Hello, 

I have a relative who has OCD and lives alone.  

In spite of this they hold down a high risk job as a commercial pilot.  This job keeps them active, seeing people and new places, and out of the house. 

They do not want to declare their OCD to their employee, or take medication to help them, for concerns that it will put their job on the line.  The irony being they are actually very good at their job in part because of the OCD i.e. perfectionist, attention to detail, risk management etc. 

This last year, as with many people, they have been long term furloughed.   They are more isolated than ever.  They are prideful, very private and reluctant to receive help from family or professionals.

We (relatives) are looking for help on:

- Does anyone have experience of people who are unable to share their OCD (specifically with their employer) for fear of losing their job?

- If so what they did to help themselves/what can they do to help themselves?

- Provide any good contact points or people?  (Please note I have made contact with the local OCD UK Support Group co-ordinator and am awaiting a reply.

We are based in the West Midlands.

Thanks for your time

Hi Sunflower and :welcome: to the forum

it sounds as though your relative handles his job very well and that the OCD doesn't interfere with his capability or safety.  Medication is also a personal choice.  There isn't a medication known to stop OCD, it can help some people with anxiety and thus cope better with the intrusions.  However, some people can also suffer many side-effects and an increase in anxiety.  If he copes without it and manages his job, I'd think twice.  I would only think it was necessary to declare his OCD to an employer if asked on an official form or contract.  I would imagine (but don't know) that as a pilot he would be expected to inform them of any medications he was taking.

OCD is primarily treated with CBT.  He could seek treatment via his GP or a private, accredited therapist without having to tell anyone.  It is only in an instance where he was considered to be a danger that a professional would be duty bound to take any remedial actions.

If you felt comfortable doing so, it might help if you could let us know how his OCD manifests.  What causes him problems or distress.