Paroxetine and GP Troubles

Hello,

I have recently started taking paroxetine for suspected OCD (it's been approximately 5 months) and I am struggling quite significantly with rumination surrounding the side effects of this.

I have been experiencing some fairly concerning symptoms - suicidal ideation, trouble with my vision and a constant sense of being disconnected from everything.

However, I can sense (or my brain thinks it can sense) that my GP is getting tired of my constant shopping lists of worries that I bring up at our appointments to review the medication. I have therefore begun avoiding attending these sessions, which I'm certain isn't the best decision. 

Does anyone have any advice on communicating with doctors? I feel an intense urge to just say what I think they want to hear, which obviously isn't helpful. 

I hope that all makes sense. Thank you.

Edited by CharlieMoon
Greater clarity

Hi CharlieMoon :)

If you are having concerning side effects then it's absolutely fine to want a medication review. The NHS suggests a review if you don't feel like an SSRI is helping you after 4-6 weeks. What has you doctor said about reviewing the medication? Could you speak to a different GP at the surgery?

Gemma :)

Hi Gemma, 

Thank you for your response.

They've just kept advising me to continue on with the treatment and, honestly, I don't feel very listened to. This might be normal, I may just being sensitive but I tend to come away from the sessions feeling frustrated and stupid.

I could see about speaking to a different GP, I think that would be a good step.

I just feel a bit dejected as I've had an experience like this before so now I'm wondering what I can do differently to avoid this again.

Please make an appointment to speak with another GP, it is important and part of their duty to monitor regularly, particularly where side effects are reported.

I hate to be a cynic but sadly, medication is one of the few tools GP's have to offer speedily and are often too quick to do so.  Many do not listen to patients concerns and dismiss them too readily.  The side effects you mention are not uncommon and suicidal ideation is one of them which your GP must take seriously.  I sympathise as I had these problems with my GP constantly, I also reacted very badly to all SSRI's and my GP would not take them seriously.  After repeated attempts with several I refused to try any more, and yet they still tried to insist I took them. I think I was seen as difficult and I've experienced many eye-rolling episodes with them.

As I said to my Doctors, "If this medication was making me feel much better and not causing problems, don't you think I'd be delighted to continue taking them?"

Have they also offered you any other sort of therapy?

This is your life Charlie and you have to be firm.  It shouldn't have to be this way, especially when you're already struggling.  Stay strong and tell it as it is, not what someone else wants it to be

Thank you very much for your response. I think I will make an appointment to speak to another GP, even if only to talk about tapering off. 

I actually agree with you about the medication. I had a terrible experience my first time on SSRIs as they were given to me as a quick fix whilst I was fairly unwell with no follow up. I think this is partly why I feel so dejected this time around as my GP is aware of this, and how bad things got, so I was really hoping for a compassionate ear this time around. I can totally relate to the feeling of being seen as 'difficult' or exaggerating my issues when, in fact, it was minimising my issues that got me here in the first place.

That is exactly what I want to say! I would love it to just click and work but, unfortunately, they haven't for me personally.

They have offered me high intensity CBT but the waiting list is very long and therefore I think they wanted me to have something to tide me over whilst I wait.

Yes, thank you, you're right. It's reassuring to hear of someone having a similar experience, I think I was getting into a bit of hole of thinking I was being unreasonable and that these should just be working so perhaps I'm not trying hard enough to see that (!). I'll try and keep in mind what's best for me, that's good advice.

Thank you again.

31 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

I hope you've been put on the waiting list, if not make sure that you are :)

Thank you. I have been in touch with the people who run the therapies in my area and I am on the waiting list :) (It's just terribly long, which is understandable)

17 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Charlie, how old are you? Suicidal thoughts are especially concerning in teens and young adults.

I'm in my early twenties. When I got in touch to be put on the waiting list they actually talked through a safety plan of sorts with me so I have that if things get especially bad. I have, stupidly, minimised these thoughts the most when I'm talking to my GP as I feel like a nuisance bringing them up (I realise how ridiculous that sounds)

2 hours ago, CharlieMoon said:

Charlie, how old are you? Suicidal thoughts are especially concerning in teens and young adults.

I don't think that age creates a problem physiologically, nor a predisposition causeed by youth, perhaps a vulnerability to appraise the situation, be we 18, 19 ot 25.  I think the danger lies in that we're less  ill-equipped  to deal with it at  a  younger age