Share How You Find Some Calm

The pandemic is in full flow and we are facing many challenges. 

But there are plenty of simple free, or almost, ways that we can practice some peacefulness and ease down our stressors. 

What do you find helpful? Is it preparing a meal, listening to music, puzzles, family time? 

I will start us off by copying over a piece on meditation I just posted in the member's area. 

If you click in the Internet you will easily find simple methods to enjoy relaxing meditation. And you can devise your own. 

For mine just now, I was lying in bed, soft light on, gentle relaxation music playing. 

In a gentle half hour just now I slowed my breathing and took my consciousness into several peaceful scenes. 

A love scene from a favourite book, taking place under the stars. Gorgeous. 

A gentle walk on a summer's day, blue sky, birds singing, cars gliding past. 

Then just listening to the music, sinking back into the bed. Nothing else matters. 

However busy we are, we can set a little time aside to practice such a healing meditation. Setting the alarm half an hour early is one way. 

When I worked (I am retired) this is what I did. 

Then I practised getting up mindfully. Enjoyed the ablutions, a little spritz of male perfume, selecting my clothes and clean shoes. 

When I locked the door, I left my home life behind. That door was a bulkhead, shutting out my home life until the return in the evening. I stepped into a transient state - travel. My focus was simply just on the way to work, suspended in time. 

Breaking the day, the week, into zones was spectacularly beneficial for me. 

By going to the gym on a Wednesday evening there were various win situations. I could pre-order a meal in the bistro for after. My wife had a night off from cooking. The working week was split into 3, then 2, days not a whole 5 days. The exercise and shower toned my mind and body. 

I often then would go for a drive, just deciding the route in the moment. 

What do you, can you do to boost relaxation and calm? 

Edited by taurean

The practice of savoring is very calming. 

When we savor we open our minds up to the pleasure and enjoyment in our vicinity. 

We can savor the presence of others, the smell and taste of a meal, the good looks of our friends, the joy of driving on the open road, fresh air entering our lungs. 

We can savor taking a screen break. I would wander around the office, savoring what I saw what people were doing reading notices. 

Savoring is free. And wonderful. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are finding some mental soothing in animal programmes on TV. 

Not safari type stuff, more vets, wildlife, animal welfare,village communities, romance. 

Plus home improvement, buying and selling, gardening. 

Personally I am no fan of drama, sci-fi, mystery, blockbuster movie material. It's all too realistic and some gets my OCD going despite lots of CBT and ERP.