Creating Your Hygge And What It Is

It seems a good time to home in on one of the reasons why people in Norway are said to be the happiest people on earth.

One of the reasons is said to be their focus on Hygge, which is the creation of a mood of coziness and conviviality, which creates feelings of wellness and content.

So here is my take on how we might work towards surrounding ourselves with elements that can nurture some Hygge, and those with unwanted time on their hands now might take this on as a new project.

Is your home cluttered, dirty? Could you move things around to create more space, light, convivial sharing? Since we downsized and moved here this has been the goal - and the results are spectacular.

There are zones. I am working in the dining zone, on the table, but it does far more than that. The table and a display cupboard next to it offer happy objects with joyful meaning, but also a mini office, space for a portable radio and, behind me under the stairs a specially chosen chest of drawers fits under the stairway to the loft. It contains bedlinen, towels, and medical appliances and sits next to a sweet bookcase which contains cooking, hobby, self-help and gardening books.

The dining zone is the western end of a through room created by an earlier extension, and now forms a lounge. As it happens, large double French windows display our beautiful garden and I am watching the woodpigeons as I write.

The lounge holds the TV and music systems, CD and DVD storage, coffee tables and a pouffe to put feet up.

Spotlights and a desklight in the dining room, uplights in the lounge.

One works of course with what one has available, some money has been thrown here to create the structure  by the developers from whom we bought the bungalow. But we have used that structure to create the most wonderful maximise of space with minimal clutter.

The colour of the room is beige, bland and peaceful.

So what might you do with minimal or maybe no additional resources that can transform a living zone into Hygge?

Maybe you might reconfigure your bedroom? Take down some tired hard Rock posters, put up some pastel scenes. Move a bookcase, resite the TV,  incorporate a small bedside music system. Change the curtains.

A room where family can be together even if doing other things can be wonderful. 

Let's hear it for your Hygge!

Edited by taurean