How to take these articles?

BBC have an article today about takeaway food and washing your groceries. I won’t post the link as it could be a trigger warning. I’ve been doing these things but always thought it was my ocd. But now they are saying we should! I feel like the world is telling me my ocd was right! 

? I read this I wish I hadn't. It's a rehash of an article they posted back in March I think. What didn't help me is most of the people I was talking to at that time were doing this.

Who are they though? It's not the WHO, NHS or public health England... 

I think you have to keep in mind that we are in very unusual times, they are not recommending that people do this all the time. Also, like @Lollipop said, it's just the BBC publishing an article, it's not as if we are being told by health authorities to do this. I've been reasonably careful with regards to COVID, but have definitely gotten take aways, I don't wash my groceries (unless they are fruit or veg), I've been using public transport, went to the hairdresser when it was open, went to the dentist and so on and on. Nothing happened. You should definitely follow precautions and offical advice, but you don't have to worry about every opinion that is posted.

My first therapist used to say to me who are "they"? Because I always used to see "but they say....." And they for me would invariably be an article I've read online. 

This particular article is maddening because it's not the official line and if I remember rightly doesn't match the official line. 

For me it's OCD if it's causing me anxiety. My mum does some of these things but it causes her no anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been struggling to deal with this sort of thing too.

I have contamination OCD, but fortunately covid isn’t one of my triggers (any more than it is for the general population during a pandemic).

However, things like quarantining post, wiping down shopping etc. feel like irrational things that I would do in response to one of my contamination triggers, and the fact “normal” people are doing this sort of thing now muddies the waters for me in terms of deciding what is or isn’t irrational.