MINDFULLNESS RECOMMENDED BY THE NHS FOR MY RUMINATION

Good morning,

I have been on the phone to my local NHS wellbeing support to arrange a referral to see a therapist and the lady that I spoke to who did my referral interview suggested that I try mindfulness to try and help with my OCD as I said that my main issue is with rumination and that I am struggling to control my thoughts.

I said to her that I believed that CBT was the correct way to deal with OCD (I can remember someone suggesting mindfulness on here in the past and Ashley I believe advised that CBT is the correct method of treatment) and she advised that it was CBT but that Mindfulness would help me to control my thoughts and advised me of a few apps I could try on the subject.

I'm afraid that I am not update with the current recommended methods of dealing with OCD, but is using mindfulness now more accepted method of dealing with OCD (if only as a supplement and not a replacement for CBT) and is there anyone on here who has tried mindfulness and found that it helps with their OCD?

Symps

Edited by Symps07
Change of title to make it more accurate

Yes it isn't a recognised treatment for OCD.

But mindfulness can help us to refocus, which is part of distraction.

It's basically bringing your mind to focus on what you see or do in the present, in the moment and it has been helpful to me.

It's a powerful distraction, because you ask your mind to use all your senses at the same time, and to savor with them.

5 hours ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

At the moment the recommended treatment for OCD according to the NICE guidelines is CBT with ERP and that can be with or without SSRI medications. Mindfulness is not currently recommended in the treatment of OCD. Did you manage to get a referral for CBT in the end?

Yes, although I was advised that I will be on a waiting list for a while ?

4 hours ago, taurean said:

Yes it isn't a recognised treatment for OCD.

But mindfulness can help us to refocus, which is part of distraction.

It's basically bringing your mind to focus on what you see or do in the present, in the moment and it has been helpful to me.

It's a powerful distraction, because you ask your mind to use all your senses at the same time, and to savor with them.

It sounds as though it might be useful to me as I have a habit of letting my mind wander off and then I end up ruminating.

Can I ask if you use any App at all?

No, my therapist taught me the basic principles. 

Just look for a simple guide. Essentially it really is a simple process of focusing into the here and now, but with all senses just working for you to do that and you savoring what they tell you. 

A simple example. If I went on my own into town I would take a walk around the market. 

I would simply drift into the square, flowing between the aisles noting the goods prices bartering the colours of the items and the stall covers, the sounds of the calls of the traders the smell of bacon and coffee from the open café, note the people and their ages. 

I would lose myself in everything market. 

16 hours ago, Symps07 said:

Yes, although I was advised that I will be on a waiting list for a while ?

Hi Symps,

Yes unfortunately we're hearing that from a lot of people at the moment, it's really tough. Have you had CBT before? Sometimes looking at old therapy notes can help. Alternatively, you could look into some self-help material while you wait. I know it isn't the same as therapy but might help in the short term :)

Gemma

9 hours ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Yes unfortunately we're hearing that from a lot of people at the moment, it's really tough. Have you had CBT before? Sometimes looking at old therapy notes can help. Alternatively, you could look into some self-help material while you wait. I know it isn't the same as therapy but might help in the short term :)

Yes, twice. Although only one was for OCD and that was 10 years ago and we never covered rumination.

I am putting some of the things that I have learned into practice and reading the information on this site has helped me a lot. I do also have a book on CBT to read through but I would just like a supporting hand to help me through this.

I actually feel quite positive about getting rid of this as Ii finally feel that I am at the stage where I can beat this!

I hope that you're keeping well?

Symps

14 hours ago, Symps07 said:

Yes, twice. Although only one was for OCD and that was 10 years ago and we never covered rumination.

I am putting some of the things that I have learned into practice and reading the information on this site has helped me a lot. I do also have a book on CBT to read through but I would just like a supporting hand to help me through this.

I actually feel quite positive about getting rid of this as Ii finally feel that I am at the stage where I can beat this!

I hope that you're keeping well?

Symps

I can completely understand wanting a supporting hand through it. Doing therapy alone is really tough and having the support of a therapist can really make a difference. You are welcome to attend any of our online support groups https://www.ocduk.org/support-groups/zoom/ for added support while you wait for therapy. The people who attend the support groups are really supportive and offer helpful tips themselves in coping with and challenging OCD.

You may have already tried this but some people find delaying rumination say for five minutes, then gradually increasing the delay can really help them to challenge OCD. Sometimes just giving our feelings a chance to reduce or change means we want to do compulsions less. 

It's great that you feel really positive about getting rid of OCD, I think that's a fantastic place to be going into therapy, so just keep going and try where you can to challenge OCD. 

I'm doing well thanks :)