Sense of self

Since being struck down by OCD, I seem to have lost my sense of self. Things that used to matter to me seem irrelevant and I don't feel the values that I once held. I find this really difficult to live with. Does anyone else experience this?

Hi Mike,

I definitely know where you're coming from - I dont know what values you feel you're losing, but I've been experiencing something quite similar over the last few months. 

Do you feel like you're truly losing your values, or is it that the thoughts you're having are making you question yourself? From reading here, that seems to be a very common feeling in ocd, but frightening, nonetheless...

Exactly what I'm experiencing, too, Mike. It's very frightening - I used to be so assured of my own values - they were unshakeable and "obvious" to the point that I couldn't conceive of thinking any differently, but since the OCD has kicked back in, I feel like I've become very selfish and closed off to other people.

I don't know if that's unusual or not - I have seen people say similar things here, but it's hard to shake off the conviction that I'm genuinely going completely mad...

I agree with much of what is said in the article. I spend a lot of time thinking of loved ones and trying to conjure up the 'right' feelings but just end up feeling anxious.