Can OCD come in the forms of statements?

So I’ve had times where instead of coming in as a “What if question?” My OCD will turn around mimic a statement like me explain I’ll think something “Am I attracted to that dog?” There will be a quick second where I tell myself don’t think of the statement “Oh that dog is hot.” Then that statement will be forced into my head. It’s not natural in the sense that is how I feel but forced. If anyone could explain this phenomenon I’d be very happy. 

Hi Nugget,

Yes thoughts like you describe are what we call intrusive thoughts or obsessions. Obsessions are categorised as recurrent persistent thoughts, urges, images or doubts that are experienced as intrusive and unwanted and cause distress. Trying not to think of something and then it being forced into your mind is also common for everyone, because in order to not think of something, you have to think of the thing you're not thinking about. There's a classic example of trying to not think of a pink elephant, inevitably you end up with an image of a pink elephant in your mind, it's simply how brains work.

That's why in OCD it's important to try not to push thoughts away intentionally as it only makes them come more.

Gemma :)

1 hour ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Hi Nugget,

Yes thoughts like you describe are what we call intrusive thoughts or obsessions. Obsessions are categorised as recurrent persistent thoughts, urges, images or doubts that are experienced as intrusive and unwanted and cause distress. Trying not to think of something and then it being forced into your mind is also common for everyone, because in order to not think of something, you have to think of the thing you're not thinking about. There's a classic example of trying to not think of a pink elephant, inevitably you end up with an image of a pink elephant in your mind, it's simply how brains work.

That's why in OCD it's important to try not to push thoughts away intentionally as it only makes them come more.

Gemma :)

Thank you for the response Gemma! I was unsure as these thoughts aren’t in the usual “What if” question format ( a lot of them are) so to have it up and change on me was worrying..

Edited by Nugget
Messed up a word