New and seeking support

Hello. I have struggled with OCD behaviour and anxiety since my early teens and have never really addressed it. However after finishing 4 hard (and distracting) years at university, I have found myself unable to cope during my new daily life for the past 10 months. My main struggle currently is health-related obsessive behaviour following a minor health scare in November. I think it is time for me to discuss this with a professional as I am having daily panic attacks and I cannot get my obsessions under control. I am constantly worried and checking my body for symptoms, to the point where I am finding it difficult to work and I am arguing with my loved ones because they fail to reassure me. Google is my worst enemy and I am struggling to avoid doom-scrolling. I have also avoided going to the GP about anything other than my physical health, because I know that during coronavirus that they are already on reduced services and there are people who need the appointments more than me. I am becoming increasingly worried that at the ripe age of 22 I am going to feel like this forever.

I wondered if anyone had some advice on who to talk to? And what the likely outcome of the conversation is, what they may suggest etc? Is medication ever effective, or will therapy be the main tool? 

I am aware that waiting lists can cause an issue with professional help, so does anyone have any other remedies for calming obsessions or anxiety (particularly at night)? Breathing exercises, nature sounds, essential oils are just not working for me right now. 

Thanks

Hi grace, welcome ? to the forum.

Being stuck feeling like this forever isn't going to happen...because you know what the problem is, and with the right treatment OCD is absolutely possible to overcome. You stand a very good chance by taking the steps you are of being free from it.

I'm not so sure about others needing the appointments more...you deserve good support too, but with all that's happening I think you're right to be realistic. Ideally your first port of call should be a word with your GP...and I'd still get the ball rolling there (we have this GP Icebreaker that might be useful  https://www.ocduk.org/gp-ice-breaker/) but I'd also look into going the self-help route too. There are quite a few books available the charity recommends, but top of the list are these:

'Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder' by Dr David Veale and Rob Wilson.

'How to Deal with OCD' by Dr Elizabeth Forrester, and...

'Break Free From OCD' by Dr Fiona Challacombe et al

Those along with the support forum will make a difference to how you're feeling before the CBT gets going...or to save time the other possibility might be seeing a therapist privately. I'm not sure how you feel about that option...the CBT should be the same as through the NHS but obviously you'd be paying to see someone sooner rather than later, and be able to choose who you'd like to see. We always recommend finding someone accredited with the BABCP (https://babcp.com/

Going back to seeing your GP tho,' It's very likely that due to limited resources (this usually also happens even w/o the pandemic), they'll offer you medication in the form of an SSRI. Some people do well and swear by them, others can have a bad reaction to them. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing w/o giving them a go...but if after talking it through with your doctor you do decide on them, keep a close eye on any side effects. It's not unusual to feel more anxious initially, and for some people (although quite rare) they can begin to experience thoughts around suicide. I'm not saying that to scare you, but it's important you tell your family and have a word with your GP. They can tho' ease the anxiety and make the CBT a little easier to work through, but weigh up if you think they're right for you. What you must hold firm on when you talk to your GP, and is non-negotiable is the CBT.

Just quickly because I know I've written a lot...your family are doing exactly the right thing not giving you reassurance. I know it probably doesn't feel like that at the moment...but by doing what they are, they're supporting you and not the disorder.

What's important is you're taking the first step towards recovery, that's genuinely going to pay-off.

Hal:)

14 hours ago, paleandmorbid said:

It's never too late! Well done finishing uni^ I'm just doing my Undergraduate. 

Thank you, I hope your studies are going well despite the state of the world right now!

14 hours ago, Hal said:

Hi grace, welcome ? to the forum.

Being stuck feeling like this forever isn't going to happen...because you know what the problem is, and with the right treatment OCD is absolutely possible to overcome. You stand a very good chance by taking the steps you are of being free from it.

I'm not so sure about others needing the appointments more...you deserve good support too, but with all that's happening I think you're right to be realistic. Ideally your first port of call should be a word with your GP...and I'd still get the ball rolling there (we have this GP Icebreaker that might be useful  https://www.ocduk.org/gp-ice-breaker/) but I'd also look into going the self-help route too. There are quite a few books available the charity recommends, but top of the list are these:

'Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder' by Dr David Veale and Rob Wilson.

'How to Deal with OCD' by Dr Elizabeth Forrester, and...

'Break Free From OCD' by Dr Fiona Challacombe et al

Those along with the support forum will make a difference to how you're feeling before the CBT gets going...or to save time the other possibility might be seeing a therapist privately. I'm not sure how you feel about that option...the CBT should be the same as through the NHS but obviously you'd be paying to see someone sooner rather than later, and be able to choose who you'd like to see. We always recommend finding someone accredited with the BABCP (https://babcp.com/

Going back to seeing your GP tho,' It's very likely that due to limited resources (this usually also happens even w/o the pandemic), they'll offer you medication in the form of an SSRI. Some people do well and swear by them, others can have a bad reaction to them. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing w/o giving them a go...but if after talking it through with your doctor you do decide on them, keep a close eye on any side effects. It's not unusual to feel more anxious initially, and for some people (although quite rare) they can begin to experience thoughts around suicide. I'm not saying that to scare you, but it's important you tell your family and have a word with your GP. They can tho' ease the anxiety and make the CBT a little easier to work through, but weigh up if you think they're right for you. What you must hold firm on when you talk to your GP, and is non-negotiable is the CBT.

Just quickly because I know I've written a lot...your family are doing exactly the right thing not giving you reassurance. I know it probably doesn't feel like that at the moment...but by doing what they are, they're supporting you and not the disorder.

What's important is you're taking the first step towards recovery, that's genuinely going to pay-off.

Hal:)

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply, Hal. I will definitely check out those books and will see my GP, even if its just to get my name on the list for the future.

I will consider paying for private CBT as I am fortunate enough to have this option, but in the meantime I feel uneasy about the medication and potential side effects. I tend to panic about any medication, and bring on the side effects myself so perhaps best to avoid if I can. 

Thanks again, it has taken months of courage to even post in here and to have a kind reply is really appreciated.

9 hours ago, gracew21 said:

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply, Hal. 

That's alright, I'm glad I could help. I forgot to say yesterday if you would like to see someone privately these therapists are all recommended by the charity's Chief Exec, Ashley....

Dr Elizabeth Forrester (Petts Wood) - http://www.dreforrester.co.uk/  

Dr Anne Marie O Connor at the Mind Works (London) – http://themindworks.co.uk/

Dr Emma Baldock at Mind Works

Dr David Veale (Priory Southgate)

Dr Blake Stobie

Dr Rob Willson

Dr Jan Van Niekerk

Katie deAth

Dr Lauren Callaghan  (now in Sydney, but working remotely could work)

Debby Cranston

.....it might help to narrow down the search.

On 25/01/2021 at 11:05, gracew21 said:

I am aware that waiting lists can cause an issue with professional help, so does anyone have any other remedies for calming obsessions or anxiety (particularly at night)? Breathing exercises, nature sounds, essential oils are just not working for me right now. 

During the day I've found exercise helps a lot to get the anxiety down...it's not great before trying to sleep tho.' At that time of day music's a godsend along with audiobooks...listening to something soothing or engaging has really helped me in the past with refocusing.

I'm glad you've reached out on the forum, and good luck with your GP...I hope you get on okay.