Recently diagnosed need help and advice on cheating OCD

I’ve recently been diagnosed with OCD and wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing. Even though I’ve never cheated in my life and I’m so against cheating, my OCD, especially on a night out constantly tells me I have cheated, even though I know full well I haven’t. I could remember the whole night but still have those what if’s doubts from my OCD in my mind. I love my partner unconditionally and would never wish to hurt him in anyway which is why I think why this is so distressing for me because it is completely not in my nature to do anything like this. The thing is surely if I am planning to be with him for the rest of my life he needs to know this? I’m just so worried he will end things and not trust me :(

I believe the reason why my OCD latches on to that is because I would hate nothing more than to break my partners heart so the OCD loves to use this to torment me! I am at the happiest I’ve ever been relationship wise. 

Hi Boo,

Welcome to the forum :)

I have heard many people with OCD struggling with similar worries to this and you're right about OCD attaching itself to things that are really important to us, that's what makes it so hard to deal with. Many people feel like they should confess their worries to their partner despite having no evidence to anything ever happening. The problem with confessing, is it's just another compulsion and typically leads to feeling the need to confess to more and more things, just to make sure that they have been 100% honest. The best thing to do is to focus on tackling OCD with the help of CBT. Have you looked into accessing help for OCD?

Gemma :)

Guest lauren415

It’s an extremely common OCD theme, I have it myself. Unfortunately the only way to stop the thoughts or any false memories you may be having is to stop trying to resolve them, because you will never come to a clear resolution. This is much easier said than done, as I struggle with it myself. Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you so much, it puts me at ease that people understand and can relate to how you feel. I’ve only recently been diagnosed with OCD and I’m on the waiting list to have CBT via the NHS. It’s a really difficult time for me at the moment as it is all quite new to me even though it’s something I thought I may have for a very long time, just hoping there’s light at the end of the tunnel!