Hi everyone,
Im just looking for some advice.  I came across this forum a few weeks ago and already am so impressed with the replies and have found replies to others posts really helpful.

I’m new to this forum, have had problems with anxiety since childhood.  More recently, the past few years it has taken the form of fear that I am, or will be responsible for harm coming to others.  This takes the form of extreme worry about things like worrying I have run someone over in the car.  These have many different manifestations and can change rapidly.  The difficulty is that I work in a job where there can be  serious implications if I make a mistake but I find it hard to see when my worry is justified and when it is excessive.  I had a real deterioration over Christmas with several stressors including having covid and not seeing my older parents for over a year who I miss dreadfully.  I’m currently signed off work and can’t imagine when I will be fit enough to go back.
I am lucky that I have the support of my partner, see a psychiatrist and a psychologist but I just can’t seem to get past the all consuming anxiety in the moment.  At times I just want to lie in bed so that I can’t be responsible for anyone getting hurt.  I am trying my best but it feels like such a struggle just now.  It’s so exhausting, I’m so tired with worrying all the time.  Does anyone have any advice?

I don't really have any advice as such as I suffer really badly with excessive worry too but I found personally it helped to know that I was not alone. This community has helped me a lot. Mindfulness helps anxiety I have found. Something simple like a walk in the park and taking the time to notice your surroundings, concentrating on your breathing. Exercise is good for our mental health. I find personally I am usually worrying about the future or thinking about the past. I think concentrating on the present moment is the key. Your worry around harming people is a very common OCD theme. I have had it in the past too and it's awful. My themes seem to change over the years. As you know stress makes OCD much worse and with covid restrictions and not seeing our loved ones it is so hard for us anxiety sufferers to cope.

Edited by MarieJo

What you describe is very familiar to how I feel and have felt in the past. It sounds like you have a good support system in place but I notice you didn't mention what sort of therapy you might be utilising - are you and your therapist working with CBT and also with ERP? I have found them incredibly helpful, still really challenging but definitely really helpful. I still have times where I am just terrified of doing anything in case it somehow might cause harm to someone else, but slowly over time the CBT is making an impact and after over a year and a half of therapy I do see lots of changes and improvements.