Coming off medication

Hi all.

I am currently trying to come off my medication due to bothersome side effects and I was wondering if anyone has had any success managing their OCD without medication? I have been on meds for years, but I just want to see if I can cope without.

My real experience of tapering medication related to Benzodiazepines and in their case, it took me two years.  You'll probably be able to find tapering recommendations for particular  drugs online.  Even then, don't be rigid.

I have never been treated successfully with medication as I reacted very badly with SSRI's, so they've never been used beneficially, I came off them all in a very short time.

I have always found CBT (self directed) to be the best tool and my OCD is managed very well :)

I am currently in the process of withdrawing from an SSRI after 17 years. (I was put on it for depression, not OCD.) I have slowly tapered my dose over 6 months and took my last dose on Saturday. I am definitely feeling some withdrawal symptoms but nothing too severe. I am hoping these pass with time.  From what I've read the key is to do it slowly - a lot recommend reducing by 10% at a time. If you find you are getting severe symptoms you may be tapering too fast. Good luck! 

On 04/02/2021 at 01:12, Handy said:

You should talk with your doctor first. 

Totally agree. It all depends how long you have been on SSRI medication and dose tapering accordingly. When I had a flare up in 2013, my compliance with medication was really bad! I used to get nightmares as side effects! However, I started to take the medication again and tapered it down over a few weeks I was on citalopram for just under a year

As handy said, first line would be to contact your doctor for advice 

hope that helps 

We don't really advise using private messaging to discuss OCD problems, for this any many other reasons.  It is preferable that these discussions are carried out on the forum where there is a much greater pool of support and where we can ensure that misinformation isn't given