Accidental Prayer

Hello everyone, just want people's take on this.

I've been working for a month now on CBT with a therapist and I feel a hundred times better. Honestly everyone who is doubtful about seeing a therapist, I really reccomend it. 

I've had a little blip however today...I had a little moment as usual from my Religious Magical Thinking pop into my head. 'You can't start following therapist advice until Monday.' I stupidly inguled the thoughts and thought to god 'Mmm maybe the only way for you not to punish me is to not do it until Monday, okay.' I also realised I was looking at the sky as I had this thought. 

Is this a binding prayer? Or just an OCD thought. Just wondering so I can progress.

Hope this made sense, thanks again for everything to everyone on here

Wesker

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone  , 

I just needed a bit of advice, I've been working hard fighting the Magical Thinking/Religious OCD.

But something happened today and gave me a little 'blip'

My hands accidentally went together as I moved my laptop and as they did so the thought 'Punish me if I do my hobby' popped into my head as my hands touched together as if to God.. How do I know this is not a prayer and I won't be punished if I contiinue my hobby?

Thank you

On 24/03/2021 at 06:54, PolarBear said:

Really? I'm not religious but I don't know any religious people who would take that seriously. Neither should you.

As a religious person I'll confirm what PB said, there is no way I would take that seriously.  And I don't believe any loving God would either. I could dig in to a some deep theological arguments about prayer and sin and forgiveness, but thats not really the issue here (and would mostly be reassurance anyway).  The issue here is OCD.  You need to treat these thoughts/moments as OCD.  You don't need to be sure, though the OCD tries to make you feel like you do.  

Remember, if you think it might be OCD, it probably is.