Advice on intrusive thoughts

I was just wondering if someone has had similar symptoms 

When I look at someone and and intrusive image (unpleasant) comes into my mind, I feel that’s going to happen ? it can be a word heard or text seen, anything, things get related ? it’s very distressing when it involves loved ones ? I know it sounds silly, but that part of the illness ? I know I have to resist the anxiety and not perform the ritual, but it’s very difficult 

can anyone relate to this type of behaviour?

thanks guys

Hi Doc,

I think a lot of people with OCD will identify with this experience. We usually place a huge importance on what thoughts we get and these can be in the form of words, images or doubts. OCD also tends to pick on the things that really matter to us which is why you're getting thoughts about something happening to a loved one. The good news is that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) can really help us to change how we react to such thoughts. Are you currently getting any help for OCD at the moment?

Gemma :)

Yes I can relate. I think we all can. The intrusive thoughts are usually about the people we care about the most. OCD wouldn't have the power it has if it didn't target what we hold most dear. For me personally knowledge has been power. Knowing I have OCD has been half the battle won. I realise the thoughts do not mean anything and do not define me but i still suffer at times, as for me i go for long periods feeling ok then the OCD beast appears in a slightly different form. My last bad experience was in November when it came in dream form for the first time and sent me to a very dark place. I am now on meds for the first time and i feel loads better. I still have the horrible thoughts but i am doing well to ignore them. You really need to resist compulsions as they really do fuel the illness. It is hard but so beneficial to make a conscious decision not to give in to it, many people find CBT very helpful. My biggest compulsion is ruminating and it never ever helps but makes everything more confusing. Letting the thoughts come and go without doing a compulsion eventually takes the power away from them. Good luck 

Edited by MarieJo
On 15/02/2021 at 14:29, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Hi Doc,

I think a lot of people with OCD will identify with this experience. We usually place a huge importance on what thoughts we get and these can be in the form of words, images or doubts. OCD also tends to pick on the things that really matter to us which is why you're getting thoughts about something happening to a loved one. The good news is that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) can really help us to change how we react to such thoughts. Are you currently getting any help for OCD at the moment?

Gemma :)

Thanks for the message Gemma. I’m inserting CBT, had my third lesson today and it was good. I think I’m going to continue Cbt forever, I won’t be able to tolerate a relapse 

On 15/02/2021 at 22:54, MarieJo said:

Yes I can relate. I think we all can. The intrusive thoughts are usually about the people we care about the most. OCD wouldn't have the power it has if it didn't target what we hold most dear. For me personally knowledge has been power. Knowing I have OCD has been half the battle won. I realise the thoughts do not mean anything and do not define me but i still suffer at times, as for me i go for long periods feeling ok then the OCD beast appears in a slightly different form. My last bad experience was in November when it came in dream form for the first time and sent me to a very dark place. I am now on meds for the first time and i feel loads better. I still have the horrible thoughts but i am doing well to ignore them. You really need to resist compulsions as they really do fuel the illness. It is hard but so beneficial to make a conscious decision not to give in to it, many people find CBT very helpful. My biggest compulsion is ruminating and it never ever helps but makes everything more confusing. Letting the thoughts come and go without doing a compulsion eventually takes the power away from them. Good luck 

I’m trying to resist compulsions and feel that I’m progressing. However I need to re-train my brain to think normal (what my therapist says) I can do all the exposure in the world, but I need to cognitively understand that the thoughts are just thoughts and they don’t mean anything! Hopefully I’ll get there.