OCD and Paranoia

Can ocd lead to Paranoia or is ocd Paranoia? 

If you have strong feelings that you have done something horribly wrong but dont know what the details are of it can this can this lead you down a rabbit hole of paranoia? 

Doesnt the non ocd person also think this way if so then surely this must not be ocd. 

A big question i have is it ocd when you believe in a thought or feeling you have had (that you have done something wrong, triggered by something) and then pay attention to that thought and then it leads you to you catastrophizing what outcomes it will have. All of them negative and life changing. 

For me im battling why ive had this thought and saying to myself I havent done this horrible thing as I have no memory or details of it BUT why doesn't this feeling that I have not gone away? Why has it lead from this one intial thought to me loosing everything and everyone. I have been stuck on this one and only thought but its led to what ifs and what my future may hold. 

Thanks

Guest lauren415

Yes, my OCD makes me paranoid as well, and will convince me my thoughts are real. The more you ruminate, the realer they become. Rumination is a compulsions and compulsions make obsessions stronger.

The answer is yes, OCD can certainly lead to paranoia. 

However, it doesn't matter. You are still trying to figure this all out. You are going over it in your head again and again. In fact, the reason you are paranoid is because you do that.

These compulsions you are doing are only making your situation worse.

Anxiety is a future oriented emotion in which we believe bad things will happen in the future. I think we live in anxious times not helped by degrees of isolation caused by lockdowns and such like making it especially difficult for those with OCD.

Scamming is sharply on the increase. Scams kinda rest on feelings of paranoia which are deliberately triggered. I and others have received phone calls about imminent arrest unless I phone a number. I and others have received threats that my internet will be cut off because of illegal activity unless I call a number or click on a link. I have had fake emails supposedly from a government department. Loads of scams are circulating.

A small percentage reply and get fleeced. So everybody please be careful. 

Good advice generally for OCD is do the opposite to what the condition is telling you. Say to yourself it’s OCD and dismiss the thought.