Can my GP attend my emergency review with the psychologist team

I have an emergency review Monday with my psychologist, my new care coordinator and another guy. I'm annoyed with one guy that is attending, he's my psychologists old supervisor from another department who's been included in the called. My Dr said Friday she is happy to be in the call to support me. They wanted a family member in the call, but I said no as I will struggle to talk freely and openly. Dr phoned and spoke to this guy and he said no he didn't think it appropriate for her to join. I don't nessercerily want her to join as my gp, just a support. Someone who knows me and my family and the situation and who I confide in. Guess I can't say friend, but maybe companion. So it's not 3 against one. Surely I have that right?

Hi Findingmeagain, you should absolutely have the right to ask for someone to attend your meeting, but unfortunately they can decline your request if they want to, but they need to have good reasons for this I think. Have you tried asking them why they are declining your request in more detail? Why do they think it's not appropriate for a GP to join the call who has your interests at heart and is a professional? It might be because they are a professional?

Have you tried contacting an advocacy service? There are many charities out there that can help and it is much harder for the request to be declined as you have a right to an advocate in certain situations, especially under the mental health act - although I appreciate that this isn't technically one by the sounds of it?

I recognise it is too late for Monday to arrange an advocate, but this would definitely be the line I would go down in future if you are in a similar situation as they are independent and advocate for you what your wishes are.

I completely understand your worries and concerns, but try not to look at this as 'three against one'. It is a review to try and work out the best care for you, it is only you that matters in this case.

Best of luck with the review and if you are unable to have a third person attending that you agree with, please remember to ring the Samaritans after or speak to someone you know well if there are any concerns or you feel distressed. 

You are also free to put in a complaint to the service that you are unhappy with, and they can look into your concerns fully for you. 

Best wishes.

Edited by OnlyAlex