Alcohol and SSRi’s

Hi Doc,

I take fluoxetine and I am also a uni student so I'd be lying if I said I don't drink with it.  From my experience, it can make you quite sleepy so be mindful of that.  I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it beforehand.

5 hours ago, effy said:

Hi Doc,

I take fluoxetine and I am also a uni student so I'd be lying if I said I don't drink with it.  From my experience, it can make you quite sleepy so be mindful of that.  I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it beforehand.

Thanks for that. I mean occasional or when going abroad type of thing. But yeah thanks for the response

how long have you been on fluoxetine for? Is it for ocd?

anyone else any suggestions? 

On 21/02/2021 at 12:05, Doc said:

Was just thinking if therapy will be long-life, 

I think you're absolutely spot on...we definitely have to be our own therapists and keep practising what we've learned, but the thing is...it doesn't automatically follow you'll have to also take medication your whole life as part of the therapy.

People do, but it's your choice whether or not that's right for you. 

You might find they've done their job helping you in the early days of therapy, and once you feel more confident in where you are in your recovery you might decide after talking to your doctor to try reducing the dose, and if you still feel well, gradually come off them completely.

I'm not saying that's what you should do...we all have to go with what's right for us personally, but it's not a given you'll always have to take medication to be well. It's really the work you're doing with the CBT that will ultimately pay off in the long run and keep you in recovery.

I have taken sertraline since 2011 and I have continued to drink alcohol at the same time. I don’t really think it’s made that much difference to me personally to be honest. I understand it has properties which can cause anxiety so I suppose it’s about judgement. If things are not going well in the OCD department then maybe avoid it, but life can be **** enough as it is without denying yourself the sweet nectar of red wine now and again. 

Edited by Lennon841
Bad grammar