Real Event OCD - Book recommendations

Hi everyone,

I have recently started going to therapy for my OCD. A lot of my compulsions and intrusive thoughts relate to real events/ what I think are real events. Does anyone have any book recommendations focusing on this subtype of OCD?

Thank you for the help ?

I don't know for sure but think it unlikely there'll be one.  The type of OCD doesn't really need to be separated into sub headings.  All forms of OCD are treated pretty much in the same way, regardless of type.  Indeed it's important that we learn how to deal with OCD in general so that we arm ourselves with the tools to deal with it effectively.

4 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

I don't know for sure but think it unlikely there'll be one.  The type of OCD doesn't really need to be separated into sub headings.  All forms of OCD are treated pretty much in the same way, regardless of type.  Indeed it's important that we learn how to deal with OCD in general so that we arm ourselves with the tools to deal with it effectively.

Hi! 

Thanks for getting back to me. That does make complete sense, would you have any recommendations for any books relating to OCD in general?

There are several but probably the most popular is 

Break free from OCD by Challacombe, Bream-Oldfield, Salkovskis. (0091939690)

It gives very good explanation of OCD and how it affects the sufferer but is also an excellent work book offering self-help CBT methods

16 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

There are several but probably the most popular is 

It gives very good explanation of OCD and how it affects the sufferer but is also an excellent work book offering self-help CBT methods

Thank you! I will have a look Into it 

I have issues with real event OCD. I am currently working with a coach and what I am following is ACT - acceptance and commitment therapy. The book I started reading in conjunction with this is The Happiness Trap.

I am certain that real life events can have an effect on mental health.  People’ s reaction to environmental stressors varies. I am aware that environmental factors can heighten my anxiety and thus my OCD. It becomes more difficult to stop compulsions under objectively stressful situations thus I find medication helpful. I think discussing situations with a therapist or sympathetic GP can be helpful to test the nature on the stressors that you are encountering.

I did this a month or so with my GP who put me on additional medication. She confirmed that I was undergoing an acutely stressful situation. She had encountered it in other patients, family and colleagues. In addition, many people have mental health problems with physical illnesses and frequently take medication to deal with depression and anxiety and there are psychological treatments to deal with these medical situations as well.

6 hours ago, Kevsangel said:

I have issues with real event OCD. I am currently working with a coach and what I am following is ACT - acceptance and commitment therapy. The book I started reading in conjunction with this is The Happiness Trap.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will look into it! I hope it is helping you ?

3 hours ago, Angst said:

I am certain that real life events can have an effect on mental health.  People’ s reaction to environmental stressors varies. I am aware that environmental factors can heighten my anxiety and thus my OCD. It becomes more difficult to stop compulsions under objectively stressful situations thus I find medication helpful. I think discussing situations with a therapist or sympathetic GP can be helpful to test the nature on the stressors that you are encountering.

I did this a month or so with my GP who put me on additional medication. She confirmed that I was undergoing an acutely stressful situation. She had encountered it in other patients, family and colleagues. In addition, many people have mental health problems with physical illnesses and frequently take medication to deal with depression and anxiety and there are psychological treatments to deal with these medical situations as well.

Hi! I completely agree with the use of medication - it has helped me so far! I recently started sertraline and I have found that alongside therapy my anxiety and compulsions seem somewhat more in my control - still a long way to go though! ?