I think there are quite a few on the forum who've had EMDR.  I can't particularly remember anyone reporting exceptional results or recovery but perhaps those who've had the treatment could tell you how they found it.

EMDR is now authorised by NICE as a treatment for PSTD. I can understand how it may help when one's dealing with specific events.  I'm not so clear how it works if there isn't a specific underlying cause or specific obsessions.

Anyway, hopefully someone will respond to your question :)

17 hours ago, Findingmeagain said:

Has anyone had EMDR for OCD and was it effective and in what way?

Thanks

There's been a little research into it and NICE have not yet recommended it for OCD. My understanding is the evidence is generally not that conclusive that it helps for OCD and really NHS services should not be offering it, unless as a choice instead of CBT.   But, no harm in giving it a try I guess, you can always come back to the evidence treatments of OCD/meds later if it doesn't help.

18 hours ago, Findingmeagain said:

Has anyone had EMDR for OCD and was it effective and in what way?

Thanks

Hi Findingmeagain,

I had EMDR for my OCD and I didn't find it helpful. It gave me migraines and I felt pressured into saying that I felt better after watching a light flash back and forth whilst recalling distressing memories! If you have flashbacks to a specific incident that may have contributed to your OCD then you might find it helpful.